Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-13-2004, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good ZTR for towing an Aerator

I'm looking to purchase another ZTR for next season. I have used Dixie Chopper and Hustler so far. I'm ruling Dixie Chopper out because it doesn't have Mulching capabilities. Hustler is getting over priced.

I have been demoing Exmark, but beside a good cut. I need something that can handle a tow behind aerator. Exmark doesn't think towing an aerator is a good idea with their unit.

I'm really considering looking at the gravely line because I like the fact they have a 34" ZTR. So I might buy a 34" and a 60". Does anyone know if gravely can handle a tow aerator or the Gator-Rator easily. I think the tow capacity listed under their hitch is 500lbs, but when the aerator penetrates 3" into the ground and cause resistance. Rolling capacity isn't helping me much.

Any ideas of what I should be looking at? My main concerns are cut quality, Mulch kit capability, Towing capabilities, and a low center of gravity for hills.

Thanks,
Soupy

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
I have been demoing Exmark, but beside a good cut. I need something that can handle a tow behind aerator. Exmark doesn't think towing an aerator is a good idea with their unit.
Did the dealer tell you this or did Exmark? I seem to remember Terry (the Exmark rep here at Lawnsite) saying something on this matter and it was positive. It's not like you're trying to pull a 2000 pound load, which by the way is the Dixie Chopper limit.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
Did the dealer tell you this or did Exmark? I seem to remember Terry (the Exmark rep here at Lawnsite) saying something on this matter and it was positive. It's not like you're trying to pull a 2000 pound load, which by the way is the Dixie Chopper limit.
Below is what Terry had to say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXmark
Soupy,

Thank you for taking the time to drop us a post.

Please keep in mind that towing with a Lazer is a lot like towing with a corvette instead of your truck. Each is designed to do a certain task quite well and neither is going to perform others task with great performance.

The towing capacity of the Lazer Z is rated at 80 lbs. of draw weight. Draw weight is the force need to actually pull the attachment and should not be confused with tongue weight or trailer weight. As a generaly rule if you can pull the attachment with out undo stress on yourself then it's probably okay to pull it with the Lazer. Like with any towing as you exceed the maximum recommended loads you can begin to cause excessive stress on the drive system. This excessive stress may show up quickly, take some time or many never show any signs at all.

In my opinion a 200 lb. aeorator is probably more than you want to pull with the Lazer Z.

As far as holding up.................I can't see where we've got many issues to worry about at this time. The Lazers a very solid machine.

Thanks

Terry

trial here.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

GO WITH GRAVELY THAT ALL WE USE THEY ARE A STRONG MACHINE....

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:
Old 10-13-2004, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to reconsider Dixie Chopper. Their towing capacity is 2000 pounds. It is written in their 2004 catalog. The DC's have an excellent cut quality from what I hear. The DC does have mulching capabilities. They have something they call a magic mulcher which is an option. They also have an operator controlled discharge chute (OCDC). TheOCDC comes standard on their larger models and is optional on the cmaller mowers. It would probibly mulch pretty well with the OCDC down and running double blades. Gators on top of the standard DC blades. DC makes a bracket so you can run double blades without the blades eventually getting mis-aligned.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have used my Walker with no problems, other than being able to see behind the collection bin. I have considered finding a "not so nice" tractor to use. Even if it could not mow, it would serve it's purpose.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 10-13-2004, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive used my lazor to pull my tow behind for 4 seasons its a standard tow behind plug aerator with 5 cinder blocks for weight. I welded a hitch to the back of the lazor so far so good no problems.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh the eXmark and the Hustler will do fine with no problems. Check your pm.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Followell
You might want to reconsider Dixie Chopper. Their towing capacity is 2000 pounds. It is written in their 2004 catalog. The DC's have an excellent cut quality from what I hear. The DC does have mulching capabilities. They have something they call a magic mulcher which is an option. They also have an operator controlled discharge chute (OCDC). TheOCDC comes standard on their larger models and is optional on the cmaller mowers. It would probibly mulch pretty well with the OCDC down and running double blades. Gators on top of the standard DC blades. DC makes a bracket so you can run double blades without the blades eventually getting mis-aligned.
I have owned a Dixie for several years and know all about it's mulching capabilities. I love the OCDC, bought one for my Hustler. But the OCDC is not a Mulcher. There is no comparison between the OCDC and a mulch kit. I don't bag leaves, so a mulch kit is definitely a must have option.

trial here.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
Hey I can get a 52” advantage series Lazer Z tonight. It is not an HP, but this machine has the deep 52” deck and a 20hp Kohler engine. These machines are $7299, but they have had a Commercial Sale Price this summer of $6999, but for the month of October only they have an additional $300 rebate that would get it down to $6699. This is a very good deal and this machine is very popular. Along with the deal we can get 0% financing until July of ’05 or we can get 3.9% for three years. Otherwise we are looking for a Lazer HP for you to demo, they sold the one I was supposed to get Monday this week. The 23hp, 52” Lazer HP runs $7650. If you have any questions let me know, I am heading over toward St. Louis at around 3. Let me know if you want me to pick it up.
My sales rep just emailed me this info. I have been waiting for the 52" Lazer Hp demo. I allready demoed the 60" Lazer Z. What do you guys think about the mower mentioned above? I am going to head over to Exmarks website now and see what the features are.

Brain fart, I missed the part were he mentioned it only had a 20hp on it . I called the sales rep and told him no thanks. Please disregard the above question.

Soupy

trial here.

Last edited by Soupy; 10-13-2004 at 05:19 PM.