Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2001, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend had this happen to him. He kept inquiring about it. Now he recieves little by little for the amount owed. (very little) but he is getting paid on it!! Its going to take awhile for him to get it all, I'm sure how he did it. I'll have to ask him and let you know.
Old 01-16-2001, 04:33 PM
Gravely Manufacturer

If you have been served with bankruptcy notification there are laws preventing any "pressure" tactics by people trying to collect. Anything beyond a single phone call could be used against you and deemed harrassment.
Old 01-16-2001, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

you can kiss any thoughts of ever getting any money goodbye. I too was once an unsecured creditor and got nothing. It was only for a total of $42 with the tax, and i was surprised when i got a bankruptcy letter in the mail, but never saw a dime. Not much money, but it's the principle of getting screwed that will eat at you.
Old 01-17-2001, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leins do work, but I think it might be too late if already served with the bankrupsty papers.

I had a guy owe me two months mowing for over three months late a few years back. He put his house up for sale that winter. I had a feeling I was going to get taken, so I filed a lien on the property for what he owed me.

Man was he ticked when the buyers called and told him the search came back with my lein. He could not sell the property till I was paid and I released the lein. He was hot when he gave me the check and I signed off the lien.

Too bad I did not see it coming this year when a woman did same thing to me for one month's billing. I trusted her too much I guess, she always paid the week after billing for two years.

Also, I am no accountant, but, YOU MOST SURELY do take off bad debts since they are part of your invoicing and your gross income. Now you cannot get anything for your time, but your expenses are still expenses. Make sure you take off the money billed from your gross income that you billed out! Some might forget to show it and pay tax on money you did not get. This has to do with accural and cash accounting methods.

[Edited by Skookum on 01-17-2001 at 03:27 AM]
Old 01-17-2001, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

i had a lady lasy year owe me for a couple of months worth of cuttings, one day she tells me she is in the middle of a divorce and is not getting any money for her ex and cannot pay me. at tax time i told the accountant that i could not collect this money and she wrote it off on my taxes. i think this is the best route to take in your situation.

good luck
Old 01-17-2001, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

hey thanks for all the replies, i guess it just shows that you need to be careful who you work for, although im not sure how this could have been avoided
Old 01-17-2001, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the lien ideas I would've been smilling while I got handed my check.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Instead of posting a new thread i thought i would just post this here. Ok here it goes,im a little hot so i'll try to make since. The rumor mills have it one of my big clients with 2 large apartment complexes is going under, the rumor is they are fileling bankruptsy monday morning. They owe me 10+ thousand dollers so for a solo operater that's big money. Ok so now i'm going to throw another wrench in the chain MY WIFE WORKS FOR THIS COMPANY . I'm going to talk to a lawer first thing in the morning to see what i should do, but i thought i'd see what words of wisdom the other pros had for me thanks Bobby
Old 08-02-2001, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Forget it... If you don't have a secured interest in anything, you won't get a penny...

Good friend of mine declared bankruptcy last year, to the tune of 122,000$ of debt.

He kept almost everything too!! Also, he just had a new roof put on his house, and owed the contractor 6 or 7k for the job. He put that on the bankruptcy, and the contract lost out. How can you have a secured interest in a roof? Let alone a lawn. =p
Old 08-02-2001, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a lady whom insisted on paying cash

she was out of town for three month and came back and gave me a little then the next thing I new it was snowing and had to go by and plow drive way and found out she had moved

she owed $600

to late for leins or anything

she lost house to bank and the IRS

the new owners bought the house for $60,000
it was worth $420,000

I told her i would buy it for $60,k

but back to it couldn't even write it off she was not on any records

Peace LGF:blob1: