Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2004, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Could this solve blowout once and for all!

O.K., This may seem too simple but the concept makes sense. Blowout of clippings,dust, leaves etc occurs because the turbulence (wind) caused by the blades has no were to go, except out of the front of the deck. So why not cut the distcharge chute bigger to relieve the turbulenc under the deck? I think this may help; any opinions?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It would probably only help on the right side of the deck. The left and center would remain the same.
Cub 21"
Lawnboy 21"
Cub trimmers
Cub hedge trimmer
Cub chain saw
Poulan chain saw
Stihl hedge trimmer
Kawasaki blower
Homelite handheld
Southwest 7x16 Enclosed
"04" F150 5.4 8' bed
Assorted other moneymakers
Porti Potty (very important)

Last edited by riches139; 10-13-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The discharge on a Dixie Chopper is over 19" wide and blowout is still a problem.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That would throw your vacuum and all the dynamics of flow off in youyr deck. These decks are carefully designed, not just thrown together with a rough hole cut in the side.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The dynamics of blowout are simply mis-understood.
And that's all I have to say about that....
Old 10-13-2004, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

just get yourself a blowout baffle
Old 10-13-2004, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely has a 24 inch wide discharge on their 60 inch deck !
and this still doesn't stop the blow out.

There is an area of ROLLING super air turbulance under all multi blade mower decks. This occurs right in the notch where the blade tips pass each other. On a right side discharge mower, all 3 blades are going in a clockwise circle as seen from above. As the left hand blade turns and blows its air to the center blade , the blade tips are actually moving in opposite directions at this overlaping point. This happens again as the center blade swings around and its tip passes by the right side blade tip. So, all the air isn't blowing straight across the deck front and out the chute. Some of the air is getting whirled sideways, almost like a tornado that is laying on its side would look like. It's this Rolling air turbulance that you see escaping under the front skirt of the mower - what we all call front blowout.

A front baffle plate with a turned under "ledge" about an inch wide is what several companies have tried to control this blow out air. The problem is that this ledge shaped baffle can push over tall grass and keep the blades from cutting it all cleanly.

The most effective design for an anti blow out baffle I have seen is on the newest Scag decks. Their "ledge baffle" is only about 8 or 10 inches long and its only in the 2 overlaping points of the blade circles. These two narrow baffles don't seem to cover the blades leading edge and so don't impede the cutting of taller grass at all, but they do combat the blow out that occurs at the blade overlap point.

The only mowers that don't have any problem with this rolling air blow out are units like the Walkers, or Bobcats that have 2 blades that turn in opposite directions and blow all the grass or leaves to a rear pick up tube. Since the blades tips are both going in the same direction right at the point that they overlap there isn't all this turbulance under their mower decks.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sam that was a great post. I deffinately learned a couple things about blowout.

Thanks alot
Old 10-13-2004, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone has made a leaf box with a leaf-vac blowing air (turbulence) in the box; then you grasp the concept that this turbulence needs an outlet it's this I am basing my notion. I am very aware these decks are not thrown together with a rough hole cut out. I'd be suprised if more than a handful of people on this site have spent more time than me working (fabricating) decks, airflows, baffles etc.