Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2004, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Question

Hey guys... Those of you that run Exmark wbs with the tri-vantage deck.

how do you have it setup, as the axle height, blade spacers, and Castor spacers??
Do u use a sulky?
I'm just wondering because i'Ev been trying many different arrangements on my machine and cannot seem to find the best cut quality setup.
Well the best i've found out is with gator mulchers 3 spacers between the blade and the spindle(decent about of blowout but bearable) 3 spacers on bottom of the Castor's, and axle setup at level b second to lowest . I've had it set at c for nearly 2 full season but today i finally got a chance to mess around with it in many different setups.
On nice thick fescue lawns it cuts clean and stripes awesome, but on alot of my thiner lawns it just seems to lay the grass over...Stripes look good but when u get upclose it looks like sh!t.... I should take some pics of what i'm talking about if u guys can post some pics up close of your stripes...
Thanks! umpkin:
I've had the rpms and belt tensions check by a dealer so thats all good...
Old 10-14-2004, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudsM15
Hey guys... Those of you that run Exmark wbs with the tri-vantage deck.

how do you have it setup, as the axle height, blade spacers, and Castor spacers??
Do u use a sulky?
I'm just wondering because i'Ev been trying many different arrangements on my machine and cannot seem to find the best cut quality setup.
Well the best i've found out is with gator mulchers 3 spacers between the blade and the spindle(decent about of blowout but bearable) 3 spacers on bottom of the Castor's, and axle setup at level b second to lowest . I've had it set at c for nearly 2 full season but today i finally got a chance to mess around with it in many different setups.
On nice thick fescue lawns it cuts clean and stripes awesome, but on alot of my thiner lawns it just seems to lay the grass over...Stripes look good but when u get upclose it looks like sh!t.... I should take some pics of what i'm talking about if u guys can post some pics up close of your stripes...
Thanks! umpkin:
I've had the rpms and belt tensions check by a dealer so thats all good...

My advice is get a blade height checker [John Deere has one for eight dollars] and set the rake 1/8 lower in the front with the blades at the bottom of the deck. Do what you have to with the axle/spacers to get your rake.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What year is your Exmark? Mine doesn't have blade spacers. Do you have a floating deck? Never mind I just saw you have castor spacers.... You'll get a better cut if you have your blades low. 3-4 spacers. I just use a tape measure and measure the bottom of the blade to the ground and thats how i figure out my cut height. After you adjust your blades, adjust the castor spacers to give you the cut height you want.

What kind of grass are you cutting?

Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person...

203-856-5602