Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2004, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that the adding gravel as filler is the easy way out and illustrates the difference between a good waterscape and an excellent waterscape
Old 10-15-2004, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxkyboy
I think that the adding gravel as filler is the easy way out and illustrates the difference between a good waterscape and an excellent waterscape
sorry, I don't see it as "gravel", or "filler". It's river rock, as in rock that looks like it came out of a river.

Accented with shrubs and perennials and jd's got some real winners, IMO.

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 10-15-2004, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I think the second picture is the best example...call it river rock if you want to the fact is it does not match or blend with any of the other types of rock materials used in the project......rather than the waterfall looking as though it is part of the landscape it looks out of place. The river rock draws so much attention to itself that it detracts from the surround area. Just because some thing is called river rock doesnt mean its appropriat to use in excess, becaus rather than the waterfall being a focal point ur river rock is.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxkyboy
I think the second picture is the best example...call it river rock if you want to the fact is it does not match or blend with any of the other types of rock materials used in the project......rather than the waterfall looking as though it is part of the landscape it looks out of place. The river rock draws so much attention to itself that it detracts from the surround area. Just because some thing is called river rock doesnt mean its appropriat to use in excess, becaus rather than the waterfall being a focal point ur river rock is.
whatever guy.

You're arguing personal opinion. I mean, some people like red mulch

If you were to look at a mountain river in NH, it would look pretty similiar to what jd did.

You're waterfall is nice too, but its all the same rock material. IMO, it doesn't look real at all. Especially the stacked stones at the pond. It looks good -- I do like it, but it's a different look than jd's.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

where I will agree is some more planting IN the river rock would draw less attention to the rock itself. Some ferns, creeping myrtle, or something else I think would do well.3

Old 10-16-2004, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Stxkyboy why are all your pictures so close to the waterfall and stream. Why don't you have a pic of the whole pond. Or are you trying to hide something Personally I think jd did a great job and the river rock looks good. Personally i don't like the look of mulch around pond but you don't see me telling everyone who has mulch around their ponds that they look like crap and could have done better. To each his own especially the customers.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I never built a pond but took some Aquascape courses. Never built a car either but I know whats looks good to me! I think the Waterfall looks real good!!! Most ponds I like but theres something about this one thats better than most.
A lot is personal opinion. We took a pond tour and the peoples favorite was repulsive to me. It had a lot of flintsone in it. I guess it reminded me too much of the days we picked up flintsone and made a big pile beside the fence!!
daniel
Old 10-16-2004, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

JD, the waters falls/ponds you illustrate are incredible! Keep up the good work man. I would like to add the service to what we will offer. Would you mind if I pm you a few questions?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Syzer-

I'd be happy to help however I can. That's why I posted some pictures of work we've done. I wanted some input from you guys to see what we could do better. Thanks for the criticism / compliments everyone ... keep them coming.
Let me know what I can do for you.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Just my personal opinion but think most of us can find better things to do than worry about styx boy and anything he has to say based on his previous threads. We use River rock in our streams and use boulders placed along the sides of our streams and waterfalls. We have built water falls using boulders, flagstone and large out croppings. We go through a book with the client and let them decide which look they are wanting. If your client is happy with the end results then think you have done what they contracted you to do.