Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2004, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

48" scag, minus the engine?

A guy I know is selling an 48" belt scag, minus the engine. I'd be interested, but I'm not sure what to check out on the mower, or where to start on price. I'm not sure how old the mower is, I'll be sure to ask him, but for now let's assume its 5 years. A 15 hp engine might cost $500-$600, so based on the above information, what might be a good offer for the mower? Maybe $350? I just need some input before I jump into something I might regret. Also any general tips for checking out wear on the spindles, etc? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but basically I just don't where to start. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Scag 48 belt with a 14 Kawasaki. A new 14 Kawi will set you back about $800 from most suppliers. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for the mower the way it is. The deck would have to be perfect or I wouldn't bother. You can find Scag 48 belt drives all day long around here, selling for $900-$1100 depending on condition. I use mine a lot on hills and slopes that I can't use the ZTR on. They are good mowers to start out with or to use as a back up. JMO.

Last edited by DennisF; 10-18-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot for the info, Dennis. I know now what to expect to pay for the mower like that, and thanks for clarrifying the engine price. I had thought maybe an engine wouldnt be that expensive! The body will have to be in pretty good condition then, 'cause I was hoping on keeping it maybe just under a thouand to get this thing working again for me. Thanks a lot!