Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2005, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

pete, yes, like i wait at least 6 months for my mesquite to season before i use it to bar-b-que, when its ready, its 'seasoned' when not seasoned, its i guess concidered green.

if it ain't broke, drink till it is
Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALMlawn&landscaping
pete, yes, like i wait at least 6 months for my mesquite to season before i use it to bar-b-que, when its ready, its 'seasoned' when not seasoned, its i guess concidered green.
Thanks.. i have about 3 cords split now.. they should be ready for the winter i guess..
Haulmark 6x12 Enclosed trailer
Bri-Mar 6x12,7x14 Dump Trailers
18hp Billy Goat Leaf Loader
Classen 5.5 Honda Power Rake
Stihl FS100RX, FS110 Trimmers
Stihl HL100K, HS81T Hedge Trimmers
4 BR600 Blowers
Stihl 029 Chainsaw
Honda 3 HRC216HXA Mowers
5 HS520A Snowblowers, 1 hs928was
Old 05-03-2005, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My woodstove is the only source of heat in the house.Firwood should be cut a year before concidered seasoned,(meaning been cut one season ago)
You stack it up on 2x4's or a rack of some kind where air can get around the stack,leave it out a season in spring and Summer,cover before it begins to rain in Fall and you have seasoned firewood.
Don't leave it on the ground ,don't stack it up against the house and don't stack Pine bettween two Pine trees using them as your end posts cuz that is a perfect situation for Bark beetles.
After that said I suggest you take your savings in elect bill and put it into a good firplace insert or woodstove.
Fireplaces are very bad conductors of heat and you will waste as much wood as you burn in them.As far as warming the house goes and keeping it that way,a fireplace is lousy at that.

Here it's pushing$200.00 a cord
Old 05-03-2005, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

i get $175.00 a cord for oak/hardwood mixed. that isnt delevery or stakcked just picked up sell around 100 cord a year. looking to buy a cord king firewood processor.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest lawn
i get $175.00 a cord for oak/hardwood mixed. that isnt delevery or stakcked just picked up sell around 100 cord a year. looking to buy a cord king firewood processor.
what do you gross a year in everything you do ?
Old 05-28-2005, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Member

guestimating this season i should gross around $110,000.00
Old 05-28-2005, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think selling wood is that profitable. Now if you are just trying to get rid of a little extra that you have lying around, then I guess that's ok. But it just seems that your hands have to touch the firewood so many times, before you actually get money in your palm.
First it needs to be cut, then it needs to be stored somewhere, most people that call want it delivered... so then you have to load up the truck, deliver it, and then unload it again and stack it. Lots of work I think for a few "Grants."
Don't forget split and seasoned (thou that last just takes time). Even with a powerful wood-splitter, it takes hours. Had a friend of mine tried it out, the guy had tractor-trailer loads of the stuff, wood lined up everywhere, all split and everything but after it was all said and done, he told me he'd never do it again: Same problem, just too much work for the dough.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell113
You can get a pickup truck load in GA for $40 - $50
Yeah but that's redneck wood.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22
gogetter -

Just driving to a gas station, Home Depot, etc., tells you that's where the money is.

When you can purchase 6 pieces of wood in a bundle, for $2.99 - $4, and I get $100 for approx, 150 pieces in a face cord, well, it doesn't take too much logic. I figured it out one time that's about the same as paying over $800 for 1 full cord of wood.

The gas stations that I do, and the Wal-Marts, I've talked to about setting up my own bin, or taking over the distributorship of whoever they have there.

The only problem, I have to do it company wide. As in ALL of the midwest Home Depot's, or 200 gas stations.

To be honest with you, I'm a one man show, and like with my mowing equipment, the firewood processor would be purchased for a tax write-off more than anything.

As for the "truckload" aspect. An 8' box, stacked tightly, slightly heaped in the middle, only to the top of the rails, no sides, would be 1 and 1/2 face cords, or 1/2 of a full cord. Measure it out, you'll see.
Try smaller gas-stations... By smaller I mean franchised operations rather than corporate (of course the franchise is still part of the corporation). Here we have a guy operates about 18 Rennie's service stations and another guy operates Seibert's stations.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
Same problem, just too much work for the dough.

All I can say is read a few articles in Tree Care Industry, and Timberline magazines and it looks to me like there's plenty of money in it. Seems like it's a matter of having the right equipment, and not being afraid to price it at what's it's worth.