Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2004, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

blower buggy

does anyone use a blower buggy? I saw these and wonderd how ell they work. In pics it does nt seem to let the blower be close enough to the ground to get a clean blow of the air. Know what i mean?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You know, I gave it some thought a while back and i think it would work better because of the angle it's at. It looks like it would allow the blower to blow the leaves with a slight down force posibly making a job easier with out having leave fly up and around you. I haven't seen one in action but i would love to.

Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person...

203-856-5602
Old 10-19-2004, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

anyone have the ln so we can see what it is?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have one that is used with a Z. It's ok, not great though on hills. Also, with all that weight out front, it changes the dynamics of steering of the mower dramatically (as in making it harder) to get around. It has its places, but they're minimal at best IMO.

Hope that helps some...btw, mine is a JRCO type.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Both of the first thread comments are correct. First, it does lift it up slightly higher than it would be just sitting on the ground. Second, you do adjust the nozzle to blow down a little farther for wet or matted down leaves. Now, here's the formula. When blowing, you are not blowing the debris quite as far as you would be if you were pushing the blower on the ground. However, since you are riding and have fingertip control, it really doesn't matter. The fatigue factor is so greatly reduced, that you really don't care if your strokes are a little narrower. The ease by for outweighs the little more strokes required. Also, because you are on a machine, at many times, you can move so much faster, whether it be moving light stuff, or moving from area to area. As where Rodfather commented that it's not that great on hills, I find that this is where it shines. If you have a property that has rolling hills and such, instead of lugging this thing up and down the slopes (sometimes diagonally or every which way), again, you have fingertip control. I keep mine on the trailer in the fall, and if I use the blower, anything over 1/4 acre, it gets put on. It kind of a trick hooking it up at first, but then you get used to it, and can have it all hooked up and blower mounted in about two minutes (it comes off a little faster). Also, it does take a little practice to get it to maneuver exactly how you want it - especially on a Z, but you can get good at it over a little time. The main thing is, just like using one anyway, is ALWAYS watch and know what way that chute is going to point. The thing is, is that you can boogie around to another side of the pile and do so much so fast, that it really does pay to have it.Now, overall, is it as valuable of a piece as the tine rake? No, but it ranks up there relatively close. Personally, I just use the Z to move leaves more than I use anything else, anyway. A mower just moves stuff so much cleaner.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Point (fatigue factor) well taken Joe...it is easier than man-handling those heavy sob's.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:57 PM
Banned

Well until I read Joe's post, I would have said that I don't think they would be worth the purchase.
But Joe's's posts are always solid on advice and personal experience that I would now rethink that.

I was going to say that with my LW blower, I am always tilting it up on one side or the other.
I may tilt it up to take the top off a pile, or I may tilt it down to cut into the bottom of the pile, or to move stubborn wet leaves, etc. And I do this almost the whole time I'm using it.
This does wear me out though! No doubt!
My concern with the buggy is that I would lose that control.

But......

This year I bought a JRCO leaf plow so I may not have to "work" the piles quite so much. Just get a good sized pile going and hit it with the plow to move it.
In this case, the buggy might be a nice addition after all, since "working" the piles shouldn't be as necessary. Just blow and push, blow and push, and keep moving. Hmmmm, something to think about.

Thanks for the input Joe.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you dont have any mowers with a front pto do you. heres a pic of our hustler wing mower that i actually just converted over today to the fall agri metal blower. these things work wonders. also giant vac has a blower out now that directly attaches to your rider. saw somebody using one and looked pretty cool.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you go to jrcoinc.com You can down load the video on there products. If you weight the rear of the rider down the maneuverability gets better. If you have pushed a 10 or more Hp blower you will LOVE the buggy.
John
Old 10-19-2004, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb landscaping
you dont have any mowers with a front pto do you. heres a pic of our hustler wing mower that i actually just converted over today to the fall agri metal blower. these things work wonders. also giant vac has a blower out now that directly attaches to your rider. saw somebody using one and looked pretty cool.
Hmmm...that is something I should try with our Toro Groundsmaster 325D's.

Damn, I have never thought about that till now mdb. Nice setup btw...you willing to travel a little bit btw and give me a hand lol? I know at Rutgers University they take the front mower decks off and replace them with snow blowers in the wintertime for sidewalks and parking areas on their Toros like we have.