Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Avery,
With all due respect, you have no idea what is going on here.

When I was in 9th grade I had a study hall right before my lunch period. I was the only freshman in a roomful of seniors. A few of the seniors would constantly talk and carry on. The teacher would give the warning, for every time he caught someone talking, we would be kept after class cutting into our lunch hour. First infraction it was a minute over we would have to wait after the bell rang, next time 2 minutes, and it kept doubling, 4 minutes, 8 minutes, 16 minutes, etc.. until it would wind up that we would miss the whole lunch period. I thought that was unfair, the whole class being punished for a couple of bozos in the class. So the next time our lunch hour was to be forfeited, when the bell rang, I got up from the back of the class, grabbed my books, and started to walk out. The teacher says, "Hey (insert last name), where do you think you are going? There is no lunch today." I said, "you can't do that, I did nothing wrong, I'm going to eat." And I walked out.
Sometimes life isn't fair and everyone gets punished for a few that abuse the system. That's just the way it works.

It makes me mad too that the pm feature has been temporarily disabled, but I know it's been done with only the best intentions for Lawnsite. So this time, I ain't walking out. Lawnsite.com is the only forum where I want to be.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense taken. I admin. on another board that also uses VB software. There are better ways to handle your problem. But them being turned off is not what bothers me. An announcement way after the fact is. Take your example. How mad would you be if the teacher did not tell the class about the new rule. Just up and said "No lunch today" without any basis or telling you what you did wrong? See my point?

Explore the software and the hacks a little closer. You can find answers to just about any problem without having to resort to such a drastic measure.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks Avery, I appreciate your comment about the hacks.
Pierre's the best here, he installs the hacks, and in fact installed a great one recently. I'll look into it farther....
Old 10-20-2004, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I was gonna say if I can help PM me...but you can't! LOL! Let me know if you guys need anything. We have some top notch techs. on our site and have dealt with just about every kind of problem. Chances are I can get you an answer to yours in no time.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Admin / Tech

Avery - I made a search on vbulletin.org before disabling the PM feature, but couldn't find a hack that would do what we needed. If you have any suggestions of hacks to deal with PM abuse however, I'll be glad to review them. Just e-mail them to webmaster at crealabs dot com. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

K...Let me ask my tech guys. What version VB are you running? Some of the newer versions have numerous bugs.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

vbulletin version 3.0.3
Old 10-20-2004, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Message sent. Waiting on him to get back with me.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I gotta crash guys. 6 comes early. I will check my PM's before I go to work....see if he has come up with anything.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He just got hold of me plsoucy. Should be e-mailing you with some ideas if he has any. We do not use this version so I cannot swear he will be of any help. But worth a try anyway.....
Closed Thread