Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-20-2004, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Going Full Time

Well I will throw this one out and see what I get. If I am grossing 48K at my full time job. does anyone have an idea of what that would translate into in self earned dollars? I mean after taxes, expenses, payroll of $750 a week for 2 people, etc....

I come up with around 70K. Am I close?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't rely to much on your calculator. What you can add up on it doesn't always compare to the real world.

To your question, it depends on your work ethic and area.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Too many varibles and not enough facts to answer really. A lot of other things will come into play such has what equipment you have, what you need, do you or will you have payments on that equip, Insurance cost, etc.

Also why are you paying 2 people nearly $19 an hour based on a 40 hour week (I assume one will be you though).

I will tell you this it will take a LOT of accts to even reach the gross of $48K that you presently have. Just based on the "averages" you would being working basically 9 months so on the average lawn of $35 per acct you would have to have about 40 weekly customers just to gross a TOTAL of $48K and that is before expenses so to get a "salary" of $48K gross only you are probably looking at 55 or more weekly customers just to get to what you are currently grossing.

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 10-20-2004, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I know it does not look good The 700 a week would be my parter. We have exmarks and Derbys' that are new and paid for. It's just real tempting to go full time to see what we can do. I think with a helper we could do 200K a year. We have 135K already lived up IF we want it. I guess I am just abit afraid of not having a sign to walk under everyday. I also must figure in retirement and health cost.

Thanks for the replies though. Perhaps I am looking for some justification to take the leap.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can gross 48K a year working solo. It all depends on whether you're willing to put in the effort. No sense in having hired help when you can get it done yourself, unless you're really, really making an effort to grow rapidly and need the time to pursue more clients.

Anyhow, I gross more than that working by myself.