Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 08:37 AM

Reputation / Point System - Last Discussion

This Will Be The Last Discussion About The Point System Feature That We Have Been Trying Out. I Know There Are A Lot Of Problems With It In The Opinions Of Some Members. Other Members Seem To Like The Option. So Here Is What I Am Proposing...

Post Here Whether You Like The Feature Or Not.

If You Do, Fine, Leave It At That.

If You Do Not, Indicate What Changes You Would Want Made To Keep The Feature. If There Are No Changes That Could Be Made In Your Opinion That Would Improve This Feature, State That As Well.

I'm Going To Go Through The Answers And Let Everyone Know The Results. At That Point, If We Are Going To Keep The Feature I Have To Make Certain (first) That Pierre Can Make The Changes Or Improvements.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would like to see it capture a name if possable
Yes I like it.

Mac
Old 10-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

I believe you know my thoughts on the point system, but I will write it here so everyone can see.

The points are a joke.
It is a group of guys that are kinda on a list, where they give out points only to their selected group of friends. They sign their name, so their friend knows they gave the point, then the friend returns the "favor".
This group is the loudest to complain if a negative point is randomly given to them if the negative isn't "signed" in the comment line. However, they don't sign their negative points, so it's like the "pot calling the kettle black".

I'm not going to name names, but there are members that are really deserving of points who never get any.... then as example there is someone who we talked about last on the phone that gets points simply because he has a few buddies here.

How to make this point system better? I don't really think there is a way.

At a minimum, this would need to be done.
No points allowed to be given on forums such as the off topic, support forum, the basement forums etc.
Allow no comment line. No comments are needed and would eliminate these select members signing their name to get points in return. That still wouldn't eliminate the problem completely though, because like I said, they have their list, they still will keep the cycle going. Giving out their required 20 points, and starting all over again.

"Point Blank", the point system is childish, leave this childish "fraternity" stuff for other forums.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

First of all, I didn't know there was a Reputation / Point System. Secondly, what is this supposed to accomplish? Seems like hard feelings to me from what I have read.

I am active on other forums and none of those sites rate the "individual" or give points for a post. However, you can rate the "post" itself. Only a slight few are ever rated.

Therefore, I am against the reputation / point system. It's like a bunch of fraternity brothers fighting all the time. K.I.S.S. -- Keep It Simple Stupid. I don't like the Stupid part, but you get the idea.

Now, can I please have my PM back!

Last edited by horselady; 10-23-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Also, one last thing Sean.
The people that are for the point system... take a moment go into their profile, and under user options, you'll be able to see how many points they have. I guarantee if they are for the point system, they have a high amount of points.... That's because they are on the "fraternity list", that's how they acquired all those points.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
Also, one last thing Sean.
The people that are for the point system... take a moment go into their profile, and under user options, you'll be able to see how many points they have. I guarantee if they are for the point system, they have a high amount of points.... That's because they are on the "fraternity list", that's how they acquired all those points.
Jodi if that last comment was directed at me please tell me why you would say that? I have gotten points from many different people and gotton dinged by them also. So I don't understand your "fraternity list comment" And whether they stay or go makes no difference in the amount of money I put in my pocket each week. I made a comment on a question that was asked by Sean that was all. If you feel that I am in some kind of fraternity just go in and wipe out all my points, it that simple! life will still go on and nothing will have changed for me.

Mac
Old 10-23-2004, 09:33 AM

What Jodi said works for me
Old 10-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't think it is really necessary at all for me to have to name the "fraternity names".
The reputation log will simply speak for itself. It's quite apparent who is on the list and who isn't, it's basically the same names over and over again with comments left like: "here's your points, return the favor". "finally able to leave you more points", "gave out my required amount of points, here's the next round" ..........
Old 10-23-2004, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I give Sean a negitive point for capitalizing all the words. Very hard to read. No, two negitive points.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
So the opposite must apply if you have a low number of points and are against the system its because your not in the fraternity or is it possible that you post useless information and got caught bs and dinged a few times? I guarantee you that if they have no or low points there against the system.
And I also guarantee that there are some that could care less about the whole system.

Mac
Closed Thread