Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

contrary to what I thought before, I think that we should leave the system, if we are able to see who is giving us certain feedback. I give it all around, but it pisses me off when I get negatives from people who use foul language and then we have no idea whom it is from.

Wether it is positive or negative, i think we should see who leaves what.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think the points system should be retained. I didn't ask for it but I got it. I tried it and I liked it.

should there be some changes made? probably, however, due to the constraints of keyboarding time, I'll discuss them at a later post or yea/nay someone else's idea.

what concerns me at present is the fact that JODY gets to make her comments based upon information that ONLY A FULL MODERATOR HAS. no one else can see the comments and who made them except a full moderator.

the way she calls it she says there are a bunch of members playing favorites and the system is rife with flaws.

well SEAN and JODY--you are exactly correct in that assumption in my case. and I don't mind signing my posts and telling my friends that I approve of their posts. I have been a member here for nearly FOUR YEARS and I have associations that have become friendships.

JODY--the way you are making this out, to sign a comment is wrong! I don't understand that. I stand by my comments/posts/threads with MY NAME. perhaps it is a MALE/territory thing that women don't experience. I don't want anyone, personal friend or otherwise, wondering who made my comments. and I sign my dings as well.

not that I am speaking of myself, but members here like it when another members character and judgment are shown by threads and posts, over and over.

and I believe that is the intent of the points system. and I further believe, as was intended the proper use of the points system will exceed the abuses of the points system just as it was intended.

GEO
Old 10-23-2004, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
I don't think it is really necessary at all for me to have to name the "fraternity names".
The reputation log will simply speak for itself. It's quite apparent who is on the list and who isn't, it's basically the same names over and over again with comments left like: "here's your points, return the favor". "finally able to leave you more points", "gave out my required amount of points, here's the next round" ..........
Let me guess me,crawdad,olderthandirt,odin,geo,john gamba and others. No wonder odin said this site is no longer for him. We give each other points for good posts good ideas and good comments. I would give olderthandirt a point for all the good points he made on this thread. I give points to others for good posts and I am shure the others do also.
The reputation thing is most benificial to new members. I think the fate of the points system should be decided by new members.But I give up get rid of it way too many arguements and crap. I will not use the points anymore. Now I will not be accused of "frat points"
Old 10-23-2004, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Jodi on this one, the point system is a total Joke, I have seen guys reputation points increasing, but when you go search for all of their posts there are a lot of them "way to go" "what he said" and "please please come back" if that is what the points are based on what good is the reputation status. It is surely not indicative of the value of the information that they are sharing.

A couple of the guys that I really used to go look for their posts because they usually had a lot of pertinent information, appear to be out to get points now because their posts are mainly fluff BS now. But their point count is growing.

My opinion if you feel that you need to keep the points system make it so you can choose to be involved with it or not.

If you choose to be a part of the club, you can give points to anyone else that also chooses to participate, but not to those that choose to opt out of it and if you opt out you can't give or receive points. IMO that way you can have a dozen or so bright shining lights or whatever nonsense name you want to call them and the rest of us can get back to sharing and learning real information
Old 10-23-2004, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogunn
I think the points system should be retained. I didn't ask for it but I got it. I tried it and I liked it.

what concerns me at present is the fact that JODY gets to make her comments based upon information that ONLY A FULL MODERATOR HAS. no one else can see the comments and who made them except a full moderator.

the way she calls it she says there are a bunch of members playing favorites and the system is rife with flaws.

well SEAN and JODY--you are exactly correct in that assumption in my case. and I don't mind signing my posts and telling my friends that I approve of their posts. I have been a member here for nearly FOUR YEARS and I have associations that have become friendships.

JODY--the way you are making this out, to sign a comment is wrong! I don't understand that. I stand by my comments/posts/threads with MY NAME. perhaps it is a MALE/territory thing that women don't experience. I don't want anyone, personal friend or otherwise, wondering who made my comments. and I sign my dings as well.

GEO

You are right that Jodi has an unfair advantage, by being able to see the names, but I would guess that Sean will be able to double check her input and see what is going on. If you are basing your points on friendship not the value of the post, I don't think that is what was intended. Not sure if she was questioning the signing of a point as much as the give me one back when you get a chance. It must be terribly obvious that there is a small group of people that are rotating through their list of friends for Jodi to have made a comment like she did. To be quite honest with you up until now I thought Jodi was a big proponent of the reputation system.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

When a friend told me about this site, I thought it was an informational and educational site. For the short amount of time of have been on here, it has turned into a 'you kiss my ???? and I will kiss yours'.

I could care less about what other people think.

Last edited by horselady; 10-23-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have to agree with Jodi, what she says basically covers it for me. I havent gave anyone a good or a bad point since it started, I just didnt really see the need for our reputations to be based or judged by others because of our points.

Old 10-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Medic
To be quite honest with you up until now I thought Jodi was a big proponent of the reputation system.
Nope turf medic, I never was. However, I thought it was necessary to give it a chance. I never once said I liked the system, but I thought it was important to give it a try. We can't continue to grow this site in a positive way if we don't every now and then try new features. I commend Sean Adams for giving us this option to play with for a little while, it shows that he is always looking for ways to improve our forum.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like the point system. I think it is a great tool for the member to realize if he/she is liked or disliked. If members think I made a bad post, then I want to know about it. I would rather have a ding instead of keep posting on a topic and making a fool out of myself.

Positive points can be a boost for members to know they are liked. This will give people the confidence to post more.

I agree that a name needs to be captured. I have only given 2 dings, and I signed them both.

I'm sure guys with a red square is going to say they don't like it, but I can tell by some of their recent post that this feature has made them better posters. They realized that they needed to tone down their post and actually put some thought into them. This is a big plus for all members.

I have received 139 points, I have received one ding and one blue square (compliment with no points). I am not part of any fraternity.

Edit: If nothing else, leave the point system, but don't display the points. Members can use it as a private way of telling other members that they agree, or disagree. This would take care of the benefits I stated above.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.

Last edited by Soupy; 10-23-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
Also, one last thing Sean.
The people that are for the point system... take a moment go into their profile, and under user options, you'll be able to see how many points they have. I guarantee if they are for the point system, they have a high amount of points.... That's because they are on the "fraternity list", that's how they acquired all those points.

You must be on the frat list too.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers