Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Medic
You are right that Jodi has an unfair advantage.... If you are basing your points on friendship not the value of the post, I don't think that is what was intended. ..................Not sure if she was questioning the signing of a point as much as the give me one back when you get a chance. .................It must be terribly obvious that there is a small group of people that are rotating through their list of friends for Jodi to have made a comment like she did.
turf--I didn't mean to imply that JODY has an "unfair" advantage--simply information that none of the non-moderators have.

and as for the "scratch your buddies back thing"--well of course that is gonna happen. trust me--even if you eliminate the comment line.......friends are gonna give friends recriprocal points. is it gonna be the rule? probably not. but it is gonna happen.

hey turf...ole friend, ole pal, ole buddy of mine.........!!! how 'bout some of those points thingeys we're talking about????

j/k! j/k!

GEO
Old 10-23-2004, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Needless to say, I agree with Jodi, horselady, Turf Medic, and the others who see the point system as not working; more appropriately described as a joke.

Personally, I wanted to stay neutral and took a poll to see what people thought, and I never gave out any points good or bad, but it didn’t take long to see that the reputation point system was going down the wrong road. Yesterday I even got a demerit from one of the point supporters because he assumed that I had “dinged” him. Is this what they want the point system for?

Indeed there are a few vocal advocates of the system that have been out there beating their drums continually, but Sean you can’t help but to see how the majority feels. I believe that you should nip it in the bud before it goes any further. Help keep lawnsite.com a professional site and not a playground for entertainment.

By the way Turf Medic, I admire your courage to say what you did knowing that you may be jeopardizing your two pretty green squares.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselady
For the short amount of time of have been on here, it has turned into a 'you kiss my ???? and I will kiss yours'.
LORI--do you really mean:
Quote:
you kiss my HORSE and I will kiss yours
hahaha...just kidding. you aren't the first horselady that I have known that didn't care what anybody thought.

GEO
Old 10-23-2004, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Needs to be done away with IMO. The system has many flaws. Some are fixable some are not. It is not a good representation of your knowledge, just your popularity. You can be given negative points just because someone does not like your post. Makes no difference if you were right or wrong.

Lawnsite is supposed to be professionals helping professionals.

The point system is good old boys helping good old boys get more green boxes.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Same people, same opinions, same reasons, as the last poll. Looks like a repeat of what was said for the last month. Should do away with the post count also and join date, and the public profile. Thats way you can "judge" a post on only its merits, and find out who has the knowledge and who has the bs.
Mac
Old 10-23-2004, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If people do give you points, they should leave their names so you can see who gave you the points..
Old 10-23-2004, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
Same people, same opinions, same reasons, as the last poll. Looks like a repeat of what was said for the last month. Should do away with the post count also and join date, and the public profile. Thats way you can "judge" a post on only its merits, and find out who has the knowledge and who has the bs.
Mac
flawless logic, incredible perception, excellent execution=LOVE POINTS FOR mac! LOL!

GEO
Old 10-23-2004, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My thought would be if you keep the points system, force a name attachment to it. As someone relatively new here, I don't find it helpful to see who might be a good poster based on something that is flawed. I don't even pay attention to it for that reason and I read A LOT of posts here trying to learn about the industry. In return for the help I receive here, I have contributed 70+ posts that pertain to areas I have the experience and formal education to answer. My area of expertise is .Com strategy and entrepreneurship and the bulk of my insight pertains to those. In return, I have received 4 doses of reputation feedback:
1 Positive, 1 Neutral, and 2 Negative.

The Positive was signed, and related to a thread on being caught urinating in someone's yard. I said it was unprofessional and was dinged. Nothing inflammatory was said.

The Neutral was inexplicably for the same.

The 1st Negative contained no comment or name and was a result of only half a governmental fact being told, and I filled in the the other very pertinent 50%. Subjective on their part, objective on mine. Ding.

The 2nd Negative, I'll accept as I made a joking comment regarding a sponsor. It was not a direct statement, with no name used, and was sarcastically alluding to an altogether different sponsor than the thread related to. For that I received the ding of "slamming sponsors is not proffesional!". I was more offended by the lack of spelling prowess than the ding itself.

Had it not been for the positive point to bring me back to green and my "distinguished road", if one were to base whether they read my post on my "reputation", they'd skip it or discount what I have to say and that's where the system is flawed.

I think names should be attached if kept, but with so much of the juvenile behavior we see here already, I can see threads being overwhelmed by "What's your problem?" posts and then the original intent of a thread being but a memory.

Tony
Old 10-23-2004, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery
Needs to be done away with IMO. The system has many flaws. Some are fixable some are not. It is not a good representation of your knowledge, just your popularity. You can be given negative points just because someone does not like your post. Makes no difference if you were right or wrong.

Lawnsite is supposed to be professionals helping professionals.

The point system is good old boys helping good old boys get more green boxes.
Is there anything wrong with being popular? Maybe the system is flawed as to what the points mean. No matter what it stands for, if I was posting crap that no one wanted to hear then I would want negative points telling me to shut up.

I don't use it to judge credibility, I already know how to do that. A newbie should be doing more research then just listening to what they read on lawnsite. They should take what they read here and double check it somewhere else. To be honest, if they don't know anything about lawn care then maybe they should become a plumber or electrician

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How about if we just do away with the score card and keep the system as a way to pat or smack members on the back.

I know one way to get rid of this system real quick. But I'm not sharing, because I like it.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Closed Thread