Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
Is there anything wrong with being popular? Maybe the system is flawed as to what the points mean. No matter what it stands for, if I was posting crap that no one wanted to hear then I would want negative points telling me to shut up.

I don't use it to judge credibility, I already know how to do that. A newbie should be doing more research then just listening to what they read on lawnsite. They should take what they read here and double check it somewhere else. To be honest, if they don't know anything about lawn care then maybe they should become a plumber or electrician

What happend to responding in the thread if you disagree with the opinion given, other than the fact you can't tell anyone to f off or up yours in the threads but you can in the reputation system.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A stock site called Raging Bull had a point system when they upgraded 3 years ago. It became a corrupt way that people would get their buddies to scratch each others backs so as to have a greater reputation, thus having more influence over those who were new or inexperienced in stock trading. It became clickish, and others who did not have the number of rep. point as some were pretty much ignored unless they kissed up to the gang. So I am not for the reputation system fwiw
Old 10-23-2004, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Medic
What happend to responding in the thread if you disagree with the opinion given, other than the fact you can't tell anyone to f off or up yours in the threads but you can in the reputation system.
This is true, but most people won't bother doing that. They will just move on, but with a point system they can voice their opinion in private. Plus I don't think it would be good to open fire on a member in public.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
This is true, but most people won't bother doing that. They will just move on, but with a point system they can voice their opinion in private. Plus I don't think it would be good to open fire on a member in public.
They do open fire read most any thread on here and by the 4 or 5 page the argumant has absolutly nothing to with the original thread. Heck by the second page the subject has changed a lot of times

Mac
Old 10-23-2004, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I guess that would leave the PM feature (when it is working) however even though that feature will allow you to use language that you can't get away with in the open forums, it does not allow you to blindside someone it does give your name
Old 10-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Banned

My vote is to do away with it.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is there anything wrong with being popular?

No. Not if you're in junior high, or just extremely shallow.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Medic
I guess that would leave the PM feature (when it is working) however even though that feature will allow you to use language that you can't get away with in the open forums, it does not allow you to blindside someone it does give your name
I understand what your trying to say, but members just won't bother. The point system is right there, they click on it and hit send.

I don't want to point fingers, but a member said that anyone that uses a 21" mower is a scrub. He got dinged by a lot of people. If it wasn't for this system nobody would have said anything and he would go on acting like a bigshot 17 year old. But since he got dinged so bad he has made good thought out post. This member took a negative response and created a positive attitude. This is the point system working at it's best.

I wouldn't scrap it just because a few are abusing it. If we take away the score card then no one would benefit from repeatedly giving good points.

trial here.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As a new member with no experience all I can throw out to this discussion is I really don't care one way or another. I have used the search feature, asked some questions, PMed some folks, and posted some responses to some topics I felt strongly about or felt I had some relative information on. I did recieve a ding for my first post on the flex deck large comercial job pics, "0 years in business but yet you can tell someoen what to charge. it was unsigned and yes they were correct I do have 0 years in business, but they must have merely glanced at my response to flex as I had mentioned he & I are from the same geographic location, and that I have contacted and spoke with several local LCO's about pricing structure. I guess I mistakenly thought that these two things I had in common with flex deck would lend a little degree of credibility to my post, but as the "Fonz" says "I was wruuuuu, I was wruoooon, I was wrong"
Any way long post short I have learned a great deal of excellent and relevant information from many folks here. Do I really care what someone's "opinion" of someone else or of me is? No not really, the information I seek and recieve answers on is usually easy enough to validate through some dilligent research, and I really don't put a whole lot of stock in nor do I really care about whether anybody has a personal issue with me. I am getting into this business irregardless of what those people think, or say. I only want to learn, do my best, work hard, be happy, and provide for my family.

God Bless America,

G-P
Old 10-23-2004, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetter
No. Not if you're in junior high, or just extremely shallow.
gogetter, my point was that it is not bad to have people like you. I don't care about having a million green squares, I even suggest to get rid of the score card. But to complain that it is a popularity contest is just as juvenile.

This isn't directed at you, but it sounds like some guys are complaining to their mommy's because little Johnny has more friends at school. Teachers use a point system all the time. They have little gold stars and what not to show that you did good. They even have charts on the wall that show these too.

It just seems like a lot of guys are making a big deal over nothing. That is what reminds me of junior high.

trial here.
Closed Thread