Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I could really care less about the points. I wouldn't care if someone gave me a ding. This site is about getting others opinions and you're not always going to like what other people have to say. If you don't like what I have to say then ignore it. I just call it how I see it and could care less if anyone else likes it or dislikes it. I'll probably get dinged for this post but I don't care. It's a web site not the Bible. A point or a ding will not change my life.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do away with the points rating. Or every time you get a bad rating from someone for nothing give Sean one.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get rid of the point system. It is ridiculous. Just reading this thread (and others) about points shows the system should be gotten rid of.

But... Before it is removed, is there a list of the "descriptions"? I have to admit I've had fun checking the green boxes to see what different descriptions might come up, and I haven't figured out what in the heck they mean. Someone earlier mentioned "red box". Does someone have a red box? What's the description?
Old 10-23-2004, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditch it. Since we've had it, it's led to finger pointing, people getting ticked, and IMO just put people on edge. Don't see anything good that come out of it yet. I've received both positive & negative points, but who really cares? I don't know any more or less because of it.

Like Jodi said, the system doesn't get used properly and probably never will. So IMO I'd ditch it and if someone wants to issue a positive or negative point that bad then they can simply just make a post instead. We're in the lawn business elementary school.

If you decide to keep it, then capture the name of the person leaving the mark.

Buck
Old 10-23-2004, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

don't drop it yet, i haven't gotten to ding anyone yet... where's garden panzy?

seriously, it's not that bad. just get the name attached. people have given me compliments and i have no idea who they are.... it works both ways. you want to see who's dinging you, as well the guys who lead you to the distinguished road.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
I like the point system. I think it is a great tool for the member to realize if he/she is liked or disliked. If members think I made a bad post, then I want to know about it. I would rather have a ding instead of keep posting on a topic and making a fool out of myself.

Positive points can be a boost for members to know they are liked. This will give people the confidence to post more.

I agree that a name needs to be captured. I have only given 2 dings, and I signed them both.

I'm sure guys with a red square is going to say they don't like it, but I can tell by some of their recent post that this feature has made them better posters. They realized that they needed to tone down their post and actually put some thought into them. This is a big plus for all members.

I have received 139 points, I have received one ding and one blue square (compliment with no points). I am not part of any fraternity.

Edit: If nothing else, leave the point system, but don't display the points. Members can use it as a private way of telling other members that they agree, or disagree. This would take care of the benefits I stated above.
Oh crap, I got a ding for this post. I say do away with it now, man I can't believe I got a ding. I'm telling my Mommy!!!!

The person that dinged me is a coward! his comment was "sorry I forgot my name"

Just kidding, I like the little red squares, they look pretty with all my green ones

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
Oh crap, I got a ding for this post. I say do away with it now, man I can't believe I got a ding. I'm telling my Mommy!!!!

The person that dinged me is a coward! his comment was "sorry I forgot my name"

Just kidding, I like the little red squares, they look pretty with all my green ones
LMAO, I got a dinger too from this thread. This point thing is silly.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 10-23-2004, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Whats going to happen when sponsors get dingers, how will this point system look to them. I don't think anything good will every come from this point system.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 10-23-2004, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And what will happen when members that are new to the site but not to the business get a few dings on their first few posts? Think they will want to continue to visit this site? We could lose some valuable input just because a few like this popularity contest.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery
And what will happen when members that are new to the site but not to the business get a few dings on their first few posts? Think they will want to continue to visit this site? We could lose some valuable input just because a few like this popularity contest.
But their information won't have any value anyway, because they won't have the proper reputation status to back their views.

If they aren't at least a shining light I ain't reading them, I don't even have enough reputation to read my own posts

Last edited by Turf Medic; 10-24-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Closed Thread