Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery
And what will happen when members that are new to the site but not to the business get a few dings on their first few posts? Think they will want to continue to visit this site? We could lose some valuable input just because a few like this popularity contest.
Do you believe a guy thats been in the business awhile will care what some one with less experience would say or that it would stop them from posting?
If thats the case, that they never heard criticism before so they could not have been in the business that long, or he's so thin skinned that he would not be any kind of asset. You know if you been in the business that your gonna be criticized and if you can't handle a few dings you sure could not handle an irate customer. So I don't think theres any worry about a season vet. contributing or not based on a point system.

Mac
Old 10-24-2004, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
Do you believe a guy thats been in the business awhile will care what some one with less experience would say or that it would stop them from posting?
If thats the case, that they never heard criticism before so they could not have been in the business that long, or he's so thin skinned that he would not be any kind of asset. You know if you been in the business that your gonna be criticized and if you can't handle a few dings you sure could not handle an irate customer. So I don't think theres any worry about a season vet. contributing or not based on a point system.

Mac
Well said mac. I would give you a point for your good post and intelegent reasoning but Jodi would say it is a frat point. Or critical care would say I had no real reason to give out a point.

SCREW THE POINTS!

Last edited by Liberty Lawncare; 10-24-2004 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-2004, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Lawncare
Well said mac. I would give you a point for your good post and intelegent reasoning but Jodi would say it is a frat point. Or critical care would say I had no real reason to give out a point.

SCREW THE POINTS!
Don't matter there as good as gone anyway!
Old 10-24-2004, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Medic
But their information won't have any value anyway, because they won't have the proper reputation status to back their views.

If they aren't at least a shining light I ain't reading them, I don't even have enough reputation to read my own posts

ROFLMAO, By the way, thanks for the ding for my last post on this thread. Those red squares sure are pretty.

Thank you sir, may I have another

Can the frat boys help me out? I need to erase 2 dings Just tell me were to pledge! Nah, that's Ok I'm still at 139. I have gotten 2 points for the same post that I got 2 dings. I also got a blue square from dishboy, since he didn't have any points to give I will assume it was a positive

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.

Last edited by Soupy; 10-24-2004 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know Sean is waiting anxiously for my input on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams
This Will Be The Last Discussion About The Point System Feature That We Have Been Trying Out. I.......
I seriously doubt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
I don't think it is really necessary at all for me to have to name the "fraternity names".
The reputation log will simply speak for itself. It's quite apparent who is on the list and who isn't, it's basically the same names over and over again with comments left like: "here's your points, return the favor". "finally able to leave you more points", "gave out my required amount of points, here's the next round" ..........
Then let's see the log, make it public. Another by "Tom",
Quote:
This group is the loudest to complain if a negative point is randomly given to them if the negative isn't "signed" in the comment line. However, they don't sign their negative points, so it's like the "pot calling the kettle black".

"Point Blank", the point system is childish, leave this childish "fraternity" stuff for other forums.
Show me an unsigned ding sent by me, and I'll kiss yer ***.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS
Whats going to happen when sponsors get dingers, how will this point system look to them. I don't think anything good will every come from this point system.
We can ding sponsors? Cool. My **** was a little hard to start today, I'll take it out on the rep.

But, you asked for our opinions, here's mine.
1-I like controversy. The point system has given us something to argue about.
B- Leave It Up ONLY If The Name Of The Person Giving, Or Taking Away Points Is Captured.

By the way, why do you type like that? It's a lot harder.
Crawdad

PS If we are now a fraternity, there's one thing we have to do.

"Toga-Toga-Toga-Toga!" Party time!

Old 10-24-2004, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
This group is the loudest to complain if a negative point is randomly given to them if the negative isn't "signed" in the comment line. However, they don't sign their negative points, so it's like the "pot calling the kettle black".

By the way, what's wrong with being Black? I thought that expression went out with "jewing down the price." In the future try not to use racially derogatory remarks, or I'll have to report you to... well, to yourself. I should ding you for it, but I won't because you'd likely remove the ding yourself.
Crawdad
Old 10-24-2004, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Believe it or not, I have waded through all 6 pages to this point.... Here's my 1/2 cent's worth:

I think there is a large majority that thinks the name needs to be captured when rating a post, be it positive or negative. If the points stay, I agree with that.

I don't really care if the points stay or go. I think I'm on the plus side, but I haven't checked recently. To me, the points are more of a novelty. I don't pay attention to them. I've been on here long enough to know who has the good info and who doesn't. I don't need the points to tell me who knows what they are talking about.

I believe I mentioned in another thread in this forum that the threads need to be rated, not the individual posts. Arboristsite rates threads this way. I believe this is what Lori (horselady) was talking about earlier. Very few threads get rated there, but the ones that do have a lot of good info. Since there is more activity here, I believe more threads would get rated.

I would agree with Soupy on the removing of the points, but leaving the "feedback" aspect of it. Leave the green box, allow a comment to be made, but don't give points. Definately capture the name.

So, my suggestions in order of my preference:
1. Get rid of individual ratings and rate the thread
2. Get rid of points and just leave feedback
3. If nothing else, capture the name of the person leaving feedback

Sean, how soon do you think you will decide?

Dan
Old 10-24-2004, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Crawdad LOL that was some good posting. I would give you a point for those great posts but I gotta get ready for the toga party. TOGA
Old 10-24-2004, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOl .....To think I used to come here for lawn care info.

I really do not care, I know who gives good advice and I know who does not. I think if you keep it it should be like ebay and you can read all the negative comments, as well as who they are from and be able to give a comment to the negative point.

Heck I made a challenge in the first (of about 10) threads on these points to give me your best shot....see how many negatives I can accumulate.
What happened.

I got 1 neg and 4 positive.

Lets see if I can get some here.

I also agree that post counts do nothing for me. I could respond to each and every thread with a one liner and build my count up really fast, which is what alot of guys do. I would rather look at their profile and see how many years in business.....although most lie on that too.

I believe I have 4 years in my profile for being in business.

That is just as an owner. I worked for lawn cares since I was 18 so I guess I should put 15 years.............

Bottom line, the points are fun, funny to see grown men cry at a ding.....lol I mainly come here to see the political arguing, the points arguing, and all the other arguing............Oh and the calendar girls thread! Not sure when the last bit of good lawn care info came from this site.......

ahh well. I am going to carve a pumpkin....have a good day.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenQuest Lawn

ahh well. I am going to carve a pumpkin....have a good day.
Yep, that's what we are going to do today too. I hope I don't get screw it up, I'm trying to draw my own pattern.
Closed Thread