Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2004, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Google Ads

I set up an internet ad on Google (adwords.com) awhile back. You can have your ad pop up on the right side in a limited area and pay 5 cents a click. I even used some guerilla tactics I learned from Mega Lawn Co.

You will be asked to put in keywords. Lawn, Lawn Care, Mowing in "my town", are some examples. I don't mow, but you see where I'm going.

Mega Lawn Co's ads pop up everywhere. Enter a competitor and, Wham...there they are. So I took their startegy and used "Mega Lawn Cos" as some of my keywords. You can even monitor the results. One fella told me how he found me..."I just moved here and was looking up Mega Lawn Co and I saw the negative websites on them. Then, I saw your ad, so I called ..."

Now, I'm not setting the world on fire, but I have gotten 4 customers from it. Those four customers cost me about $15 total. My old boss used to say he paid $100 a customer....
Old 10-24-2004, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do the same thing with google adwords. I use my competitors names, vendors names and anything you can think of. We have about 80 keywords right now.

Peace,

Rex

ArizonaPavers.Com
Old 10-24-2004, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rex and Green,

I just wanted to make sure you are fully aware that if the company names you are using are trademarked, you are opening yourself up for infringement. At this point in time, Google leaves it up to self-policing, and it requires a trademark owner to bring it to their attention, but I would not be surprised to see it become a bigger legal issue, as has been seen with Meta Tags.

Tony
Old 10-24-2004, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I already had to deal with HD on an issue. And, they were none-to-pleased!

Peace,

Rex

ArizonaPavers.Com
Old 10-25-2004, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Rex Mann, I noticed what appears to be a small grammatical error on your website.

Please contact us if you have any quetions or complete our Free Estimate and we weŐll call you soon to discuss your needs.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

as well as the intro of the About Us:

"RM Stonescaping located in Phoenix, Arizona." throw an "is" in there.

also, you might think about disabling that right click disable script you've got in there that shows us the contact info for ClearImaging, assumedly your web designer. not only are those things annoying, which while you may want to prevent images being taken (which is easily worked around btw), you are preventing people from opening one of your links in another window. many of your visitors will try this and instead be forced to view an ad directing us to who built your site.

btw, very nice site.

which "very small liberal arts college in ohio" are you a product of?

Tony
Old 10-27-2004, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no danger on the trademark names as keywords.

Because they are totally hidden in an archive of keywords that is concealed.

They should not be popping up in the actual ads.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 10-27-2004, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mdvaden, "no danger on the trademark names as keywords" is absolutely 100% false. I'd be curious to know how you've formulated that thought?

They are not totally hidden and although technically do not show up in the actual ads, they are the precipitator of the ad being generated. Totally hidden would not allow say, "Anderson Windows" to search for their product on google and pull up, say "Marvin Windows". Product features or services, by generic name are different than searching for specific trademarked names. If you do not have an actual positive business use ("fair use" or permission) to use the trademarked name, you are guilty of infringement.

Google and Overture do not police this, yet, and it falls on the trademark owner to seek action. The ironic thing about this is that it actually increases the likelyhood that you are sued. Google and Overture have simply removed the burdon of trademark enforcement and handed it over to the trademark owner's lawyers. Which would you rather have? An email from Google telling you they've removed the keyword, or a TRO from a court and a subpoena calling you in for your lawsuit?

Tony
Old 10-27-2004, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like someone could only access trademark names only randomly, hit or miss, one ad at a time by trying to view the ad page source.

Google is requesting key "WORDS" not key titles. That can alter advertising significantly.

For example, if Collier Arbor Care registered that name, it appers to be no problem to list 3 individual words:

"Collier's Arbor Care"
"Collier's Tree Service"
"Collier's Tree"

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 10-27-2004, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tony,

Ashland University BSBA in Hotel Restaurant Management.

I appreciate the heads up on the spelling and grammatical issues.

As far as the Clear Imaging goes, I pay nothing for hosting my site and I paid nothing to have it built. One of my vendors paid for it and also pays the hosting fee. So, that right click thing does not bother me.

Peace,

Rex

ArizonaPavers.Com