Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2004, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

How much do you charge in Florida?

How much do you charge yearly for a 1/4 acre cutting,edging,blowing? Its hard to charge a lot around here with all the scrubs.I am licensed and Insured.Seems like you can hardly get more than 20.00 a cut for a 1/4. Does this price seem in line for the Central East Coast of Florida? I was think of charging 70.00 to 72.00 a month for a 12 month contract that would be for 42 cuts per year. 70.00 x 12 months = 840 divided 42 = $20.00
Old 10-24-2004, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RLC

I wouldn't answer the phone for that price. Gas is now over $ 2.00 a gallon and worker comp insurance is 13.6% Plus Medicare, SS, FICA, ETC ETC.

10 years ago we got $ 20 for a 1/4 acre lot with house driveway swimming pool etc etc.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's the going rate here on the gulf coast (Citrus County). The average for 1/4 acre lawns is $20-$22 depending on the amount of trimming involved. A lot of illegals over here are doing 1/4 acre lawns for $15 a pop. Hard to compete with illegal operators and they're the ones that are depressing the prices.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Doggy

Yep Florida is where every one works for free, and the customer expects it. Just wait till i show up you an't mowed your yard in 2 months 1/4 acre$50.00 up front.Realtors pay up front for this service that way there is no hassle trying to collect . Got a listing that has not been mowed in 2 months $170.00 is the starting price and it goes up from there bring the people by later that day it will be done .

Vacant land just call me prices start at $250.00 and go up from there, clean ups start at $75.00 per hour per man and go up from there.

I set a minimum price based on the job not on the cut and never write it down for any one i.e. i do not leave quotes behind.In the copier business other companies would almost leave a proposal behind showing their price, which lead too their down fall.

People that want quotes only wind up showing your price to some one else to play beat the price game.If they want to higher me and ask me for figures on what there cost would be i set an appointment with them for a later date and cover all information with them.Then ask me to write down a price i ask are you starting today IF THE SAY YES OUT COME THE FORMS TO TAKE CARE OF THE FILE COPIES ON THERE PROPERTY, if not then i say well when you get a little closer in to making a change call me.Short version you put the paper work in front of them and close the sale.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

The going rate around here for that size is $75 and $85 per month for the houses in my neighborhood (so I thought). The other day I saw the LCO that mows my next door neighbors yard and I talked to him and he is charging $100 to $110 per month. He mows, trims, edges, and blows.

My rates will go up now.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I average about $100/month per yard in the 1/4acre range. I get about 30% of those I bid on. You have to make it seem like it is worth their while. Look professional, talk about insurance and licensing. Pricing is strictly in your head. The right customers will pay whatever you want to charge so long as you do a good job and are reliable.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision
I average about $100/month per yard in the 1/4acre range. I get about 30% of those I bid on. You have to make it seem like it is worth their while. Look professional, talk about insurance and licensing. Pricing is strictly in your head. The right customers will pay whatever you want to charge so long as you do a good job and are reliable.
That's the trick in the Tampa Area. You can find good customers that are willing to pay 110.00 to 125.00 for 1/4 acre lots IF you are reliable. Just takes a while to build up.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

its 30$ and up in sarasota

Pride Lawn Care
Taking Pride In Attention To Detail
Old 10-24-2004, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont have (need) workmans comp yet, but is that 13.6% to cover full landscaping or just mowing?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobruk79
I dont have (need) workmans comp yet, but is that 13.6% to cover full landscaping or just mowing?
Tobruk

Fla. Worker Comp law doesn't apply to the service industry "yet". Therefore you can have up to 3 workers counting the owner and not have workers comp. Once you go to 4 people then you must have workers comp in any Business. Lawn mowing and shrub trimming is considered service industry.

Once you put a shovel in the ground to so much as replace one plant, you fall into construction industry. All people in the construction industry must have workers comp. Now corporations may have two owners who are worker comp exempt, and file with the state for that exemption. Many small subcontractors have incorporated this last year when the law changed on Jan 1 2004.

Now Landscape rate 13.6 and is set by the state insurance commision. Pesticide is like 13.4 and lawn mowing is even a 0.1 % less I think. I keep everyone including my self at landscape rate to keep it all legal for we do a lot of landscaping jobs where I use everyone.

Now the problem with having Works comp is Insurance companies want the premiums for the year up front. Therefore this can cost cash flow a lot of money at one pop.

Now I am not saying everyone in the state of Florida is following the law. I wish I wasn't have to pay this myself. I only telling you what my understanding of this law is.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.