Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-30-2004, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

What should i do

I am currently a junior in high school and trying to balance school and work. Usually school comes second. This spring i plan on having my truck an trailer. Over the last 2 years that i have been seriously into landscaping, i've started to get all the equipment i need. I have about 18 weekly accounts for mowing and want to expand that to about 30-35 next year. I can't get enough of the biz. I dream, live, and breath it. I also do landscape construction which is about 40%, and feel that I know what i'm doing (not braging just feel confident). I have set myself a very good reputation and want to keep growing. My parents on the other hand wold like me to go to college, and if i did it would be for landscape contracting. I've worked so hard for years to build where i am now and i'm staring to think college isn't right. Do i keep building and reach my goals, or stop work for 2-4 yrs. and start over. I really don't want to but how do i convince the parents that what i'm doing now is going to be successful. I have a game plan set up, my reputation, and a sh** load of work ethic. Working is fun to me, its all i want to do. Mommy and daddy havn't layed things out on a siliver plater for me. I've worked for it. throw your opinions out!!! i wanna hear them

48" encore wb
33" troybilt wb
2 5hp push blowers
2 straigh shaft echo SRM-210 trimmers
5hp chipper
22" hedge trimmers
backpack blower
earthway drop and broadcast spreaders
22" dethatcher
3hp edger
10" brick saw
one dad that lost his garage

Last edited by sodgod; 10-30-2004 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well.........

Stay in school !!! Knowing the biz, is a little more involved than just doing the work. It's a little hard for you to understand, because living at home, you are not probably in tune with what it costs to live, and you may not have everything you need to be able to price everything, to be able to support yourself, and grow. Yes, I have no doubts your good, and you work hard. But you have time, and it's a lot harder later, to go back, and get the education that you can get now. Take courses in anything, and everything that has to do with the biz, and you will be that much better off, down the road. Your Doing well P/T, so keep doing that, but learning how to do " the business end" of things, will give you a head start in just a few short years. I've seen many with you "work ethic", but because they don't know how to run a business, they fail, and end up working for a wage. I'm sure that's not what you want'd to hear, and it's just my opinion, but Ive seen many with great dream, but not the knowledge to follow it thru. You Have the drive, now learn the rest, and when it's right, you will be sucsesful !!! Good Luck !!!!
Old 10-30-2004, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do what makes you happy. School isn't for everyone, and if you can manage to get off the ground at an early age you'll have a tremendous advantage over other startups. You can always take classes in the offseason, see if there's anything you are interested in or if school is for you.

However, when I was in hs I wanted to do about a million things that were unrealistic. Try to have a grounded approach to your future, don't get too starry eyed over lawn care and landscaping. Be realistic and honest about the business.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

While education is a valuable thing, being out in the real world is an education in itself. I think a lot of people would be better off to jump from high school into the working world. Then you'd get a taste of what lines of work interest you, and you could enter college a few years later and major in something you KNOW will benefit you. A lot of my college buddies majored in accounting. About half of them quit their accounting jobs after a year or so, they were "good" in accounting in college, but the reality of going in to work day after day and being an accountant was boring to them. So then they're looking for another line of work, with no other background but accounting.

One scenario, you could work at your business for a few years after HS, maybe have enough employees working for you where you could afford to go to college and still run the company.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE
While education is a valuable thing, being out in the real world is an education in itself. I think a lot of people would be better off to jump from high school into the working world. Then you'd get a taste of what lines of work interest you, and you could enter college a few years later and major in something you KNOW will benefit you.
I agree. I wish I had spent some time growing up first in the real world before I went to college. I believe I would have made far better use of my education, and known what I wanted to do with it. College and higher education is great, but you need to know what you want to do with it as well.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im a senior in High School and love landscaping too, I have more work than I know what to do with, the town absolutely loves me. I plan on attending the Thompson School at University of New Hampshire. They have a great landscape management. After that I am going to UNH manchester for business. Don't start a business without an idea how. If you can get a good education, why not slow down for a few years than explode when your done college and make 10 times more than you would if you didnt have an education...just my thoughts
Old 11-02-2004, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with JamesGate, I feel that college seems to be more and more important and if your going to bid on a job for a high end property manager, im sure that they would like to see any type of management degree with there bid but then again that doesnt make that guy the better company

masonry and landscape services for the lower hudson valley
Old 11-02-2004, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

hey man i am in the same position. i am about to be18 nov 5 and i have been landscaping and have had a landscape business since i was 16. I have 47 yards and i love to work also, not only are there 4 year programs but there are great 2 year programs too. i see that you live in NY, i live in NC. maybe you can look on cfnc.org or collegeboard.com and get some info on many different colleges. Well i hope that my info was helpfull and let me know what you decide maybe we can help each other out sice we are the same age and in the same position. email me sometime!! Andrewbarber_oo7@hotmail.com

Last edited by The Yard Barber, Inc.; 11-02-2004 at 09:38 PM. Reason: screwed up
Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what should I do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodgod
I am currently a junior in high school and trying to balance school and work. Usually school comes second. This spring i plan on having my truck an trailer. Over the last 2 years that i have been seriously into landscaping, i've started to get all the equipment i need. I have about 18 weekly accounts for mowing and want to expand that to about 30-35 next year. I can't get enough of the biz. I dream, live, and breath it. I also do landscape construction which is about 40%, and feel that I know what i'm doing (not braging just feel confident). I have set myself a very good reputation and want to keep growing. My parents on the other hand wold like me to go to college, and if i did it would be for landscape contracting. I've worked so hard for years to build where i am now and i'm staring to think college isn't right. Do i keep building and reach my goals, or stop work for 2-4 yrs. and start over. I really don't want to but how do i convince the parents that what i'm doing now is going to be successful. I have a game plan set up, my reputation, and a sh** load of work ethic. Working is fun to me, its all i want to do. Mommy and daddy havn't layed things out on a siliver plater for me. I've worked for it. throw your opinions out!!! i wanna hear them

48" encore wb
33" troybilt wb
2 5hp push blowers
2 straigh shaft echo SRM-210 trimmers
5hp chipper
22" hedge trimmers
backpack blower
earthway drop and broadcast spreaders
22" dethatcher
3hp edger
10" brick saw
one dad that lost his garage
I am going to sound like an adult. I am going to side with your parents. You have the rest of your life to work. You will only be this age, once, in your life. They are going to let you study what you want. What is better. Once you have that degree, no one can take it away. Get the degree in what you want to do, and what could be better. You will never be this age again. You will always kick yourself for not at least trying. Listen to your parents, they have been around the horn at least once. At least give them that much respect.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim I agree!

Guys I am the old man that has 5 children and have to do lawn work as a side to raise my children.
Enjoy the next few years. After you get that business degree you can still stay in the lawn/landscape business. It wasn't that hard to get those initial accounts, so think about how easy it will be after college.
You sound like a go-getter who isn't afraid of tackling a challenge. It's just my advise, cause as I'm sitting here, I'm recovering from severe back surgery. I don't know how many of my customers will be there next year. However, I do have a great 18 y/o son who is trying to pull up the slack for dad.
My point, be the boss with the business experience and degree to back it up.
Cause the older you get, the harder it gets!

Oh yea, keep a few of those gravy accounts to keep your skills sharp or hire someone now to help you out while your in college to keep your account base.

Last edited by dog245; 11-05-2004 at 01:43 PM.