Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2005, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

What you should do!

Here's a plan I think you'll like! (It's also my story)

Go to College. Look for a College where the grass is GREEN, the edges are manicured and the striping is PERFECT.

Apply for a job with the grounds department. Learn from classes (It'll make you a more rounded person durh!). Learn from the Grounds Staff. The fact is, most of the grounds staff will probably do a little side work anyhow... Once you've made some friends on the grounds staff, work for them on side jobs. Go to school! Make $$$ while at school for your own company expansion.

It's worked out really well for me!

J.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

give college a shot

Hey man, I m 19 and a Freshmen in college. I have a lawn care service, and I attend college, but I only take 12 hours. I go to class from 8- 9 50 on mon wed fri and from 8 9 20 on tue thur plus i take one online class. This way I am able to enjoy my business and school. It might take me a little longer to graduate, but I will still get a degreee and by the time I graduate, my business will be ready to take off.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

It can be done!!!

It is stressful but it can be done. I am currently in my 3rd year of a business degree and have been operating a successful lawn care and landscaping compnay for 4 years and just expanded into a second crew. The extra education will allow you to grow your business at the right times and learn time management at the same time. A final note, I hate school but I know this is best for the company and myself in the long run.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodgod
I am currently a junior in high school and trying to balance school and work. Usually school comes second. This spring i plan on having my truck an trailer. Over the last 2 years that i have been seriously into landscaping, i've started to get all the equipment i need. I have about 18 weekly accounts for mowing and want to expand that to about 30-35 next year. I can't get enough of the biz. I dream, live, and breath it. I also do landscape construction which is about 40%, and feel that I know what i'm doing (not braging just feel confident). I have set myself a very good reputation and want to keep growing. My parents on the other hand wold like me to go to college, and if i did it would be for landscape contracting. I've worked so hard for years to build where i am now and i'm staring to think college isn't right. Do i keep building and reach my goals, or stop work for 2-4 yrs. and start over. I really don't want to but how do i convince the parents that what i'm doing now is going to be successful. I have a game plan set up, my reputation, and a sh** load of work ethic. Working is fun to me, its all i want to do. Mommy and daddy havn't layed things out on a siliver plater for me. I've worked for it. throw your opinions out!!! i wanna hear them
You want to take risks, you say ...

Well I ain't the one telling you what to do, I never went to college but I did finish High-school and got my diploma and I think you should get that so THEN you can do your lawncare thing but later if you decide to go to college after all, you haven't stabbed yourself in the foot.

But no, college is not for me. Maybe it isn't for you, dunno ...

Finish high school, get that diploma. College can wait, but not without a diploma...

'tis the proper 'ting to do, sire.
Peace
Old 03-27-2005, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

it is possible to go to school full time and run ur biz. i am a freshman in college only 19 years old i go to school and mow 104 lawns when im not in school. the lawns include mulch, spring/fall cleanup, and 70 of them are fertilizer. i have a crew of four guys that work for me and my major is landscape and turfgrass management. it is possible. good luck
Old 03-27-2005, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodgod
I am currently a junior in high school and trying to balance school and work. Usually school comes second. This spring i plan on having my truck an trailer. Over the last 2 years that i have been seriously into landscaping, i've started to get all the equipment i need. I have about 18 weekly accounts for mowing and want to expand that to about 30-35 next year. I can't get enough of the biz. I dream, live, and breath it. I also do landscape construction which is about 40%, and feel that I know what i'm doing (not braging just feel confident). I have set myself a very good reputation and want to keep growing. My parents on the other hand wold like me to go to college, and if i did it would be for landscape contracting. I've worked so hard for years to build where i am now and i'm staring to think college isn't right. Do i keep building and reach my goals, or stop work for 2-4 yrs. and start over. I really don't want to but how do i convince the parents that what i'm doing now is going to be successful. I have a game plan set up, my reputation, and a sh** load of work ethic. Working is fun to me, its all i want to do. Mommy and daddy havn't layed things out on a siliver plater for me. I've worked for it. throw your opinions out!!! i wanna hear them

48" encore wb
33" troybilt wb
2 5hp push blowers
2 straigh shaft echo SRM-210 trimmers
5hp chipper
22" hedge trimmers
backpack blower
earthway drop and broadcast spreaders
22" dethatcher
3hp edger
10" brick saw
one dad that lost his garage
man this one hit home with me. I'm in the same position. Only difference is I made up my mind. No college. I'll probably graduate high school, and into business I'll go. School isn't for everyone, especiallly me. You are better off saving your money on equipment or something. I'll be honest, what are you going to gain from college. You'll go off spend some money, come back and be in the same spot you were in when you left. As far as what your parents think, this is your life, make your decisions. Despite what others say, i think you can be very successful in this industry without a great education. My boss dropped out of high school and is one of the most popular and successful landscapers in the area. NOW EXPLAIN THAT. lol
I'd graduate high school, and just keep working. You'll do fine.

school can kiss my white, lawn mowing a**
lol

# 8