Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2006, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up Hello Rob in Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeitz
I have been trying to go all organic. I have just over 2 acres with approx. 55000 sq ft in lawn in SE PA. Back in September I aerated and then rented a Lesco renovator and over-seeded with Lesco Teammates 90% Tall Fescue and 10% Rye. I also put down an organic fertilizer. Soil test called for 7-5-5 at 14#/1000. I couldn't't find 7-5-5 so I put down 4-6-4 at 14#/1000. Soil test also called for Lime at 90#/1000. I'm still working on putting the lime out. I have 1/2 of it spread so far and hope to get the rest out this week.

My yard was very weed infested but my wife would not let me use herbicides to kill them off. Since aerating and over-seeding it is looking pretty good but there are still some weeds and I know they will come back in the spring.
I have been reading up on natural weed and feed products and I came across the corn gluten meal pellets. It sounds like it may work OK but at $40+ for a 50# bag it is a bit costly to use on a regular basis. I was wondering if cracked corn would work just as well? I can buy 50# bags of cracked corn for $5/bag at the farm supply store. Has anyone tried this? Or, do you know a more affordable source for CGM pellets?
Picture this Rob, as a meal it spreads so fine, as a pellet it flys like the wind, just dont think you'll get the same control, what do you think?......You could spend $1200 bucks for your own commercial quality grain mill, make all the CGM you want, .......you could try corn gluten feed and apply twice as much of it?..........or just do 3 seedings back to back?..........mmmmmh, what would I do if I were You?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Soil Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehpdx
You talk about a soil test. Did you do that yourself? Can you recommend equipment and etc for this process? Thanks, dehpdx
WOW talk about reviving old posts! For the soil test I went to the county extension office and picked up a kit. You take multiple samples from around your yard and mail them in to be analyzed. The results and recommendations are then mailed back to you. I forget the exact cost but it was minimal.

2001 Scag Turf Tiger 72" with LC 27hp Kawasaki
Old 03-12-2006, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
Picture this Rob, as a meal it spreads so fine, as a pellet it flys like the wind, just dont think you'll get the same control, what do you think?......You could spend $1200 bucks for your own commercial quality grain mill, make all the CGM you want, .......you could try corn gluten feed and apply twice as much of it?..........or just do 3 seedings back to back?..........mmmmmh, what would I do if I were You?

Uh..3 seedings?

2001 Scag Turf Tiger 72" with LC 27hp Kawasaki