Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2001, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I would like to know,let me regress for a moment.We have a lot of Brown patch here in the warm season climate especially the home owners that do there own fert.to much nitrogen.My question I wont to self mix my fungicides Contact ,and systemic,can i drop back to 1/2 each and do a good job.The Manufaacture said stay with curative rate on each.This would be strong in my thinking. thanks
Old 03-10-2001, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can not help you specifically for your area, but in general you must be very careful in mixing two or more pesticides to target one pest. Best to check around with others in your area. Golf courses will have a lot more experience with fungicides, check with some golf supers.

In my mixing experiences, a certain fungicide combo we use is 1/2 rate on one and 1/2 to 1/8 rate on other, and result is 3-4 times the duration of either alone at full rate. Also, an herbicide combo was 1/2 of one, 1/4 of other, for great overall controls - but if mixed together at full rate for each you killed everything, grass included.
Old 03-10-2001, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have tank mixed Banner maxx with Daconil for taking on brown patch and dollar spot for up to 3 weeks,but i do need to back off the rate that either would be applied at alone,the label has this info on it. I believe the label,but it does sound strange-Im sure you dont want to waste product and hurt the grass either.
Old 03-11-2001, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Brown Patch silver bullet!

I use Heritage Fungicide at the low rate on 30 day intervals beginning in late May in the Nashville TN area. I do three apps:Late May,late June, Late July. This is offered to irrigated customers only and for those who are sick of the "patch" eating their lawns every summer! Your cost is almost $4.00/m for the low rate. I sprayed for several years at golf courses with all kind of "milkshake" combos! Heritage is labeled for home lawns. It is very safe. NOTHING out lasts Heritage! I promise you I have tried every fungicide and combo labeled for "Brown Patch" The most outbreak I have experienced after a 30 day interval is 5%. It is labeled for 28 days. If there are any signs of out break when we return, we double down in those spots only. I have used this routine for 3 consectutive years with no resistance evident. I have experienced resistance to a variety of fungicides concerning different diseases on different turf.. I am concerned resistance may come, but have been working with a plant pathologist and he says he does not believe it is a concern with Heritage on tall fescue only, relating to Rhiztonia only. He has been testing it for years. Heritage will INCREASE dollar spot outbreaks, but if you are fertilizing these lawns with any significant N, you will never see dollar spot any way! Heritage is NOT the bomb when you have a serious outbreak. It is only the bomb when applied preventavily. If you get to a yard and it is "eat up" with patch, switch to COMPASS! It is outstanding for putting out "patch FIRES". It is very similar chemistry to Heritage, but has a little different activity. The call it mesosystemic. That translates to it puts out the fire and keeps it away for 21 days..It is similar in cost to Heritage, even when using the cure rate of Compass. I have never gotten more than 23 days out of the product after applying it as a cure. I have yet to try it on a strictly prevent basis. 3 apps of Heritage will last as long as 4 compass apps, therefore, I will stick with heritage if I get there before the fungus! An incredible side benefit to Heritage is that it actually thickens the fescue stand during the summer. The benefit is the customers you convince to go this route will be sold forever on the treatments after one year. Most big lawn companies will not even use the product because they would rather come out every 14 days and gouge a customer with Daconil or Prostar. The unfortunate drawback to the Heritage program is it will hurt your overseeding business next fall! The irrigated lawns just will not shake and bake when the Heritage is used! I do about 30 out of 400 lawns. Most people will not pay for the service due to it costing them about what they pay for fall seeding. But, they will remain loyal customers and refer your ability to keep fescue from melting in summer heat! Most of the above 30 customers are now pre-pay customers who also pre-pay for all their treatments and fall aeration/seeding! Pre-pay makes my day in January! I have rambled about this topic because it was so frustrating for years to see my best lawns melt every year. If you have non-irrigated lawns that always melt with patch before the "shake and bake" of July, sell them just one app timed right before the patch hits every year. Usually, once they have made it through June, there will not be enough rainfall for the fungus to refire in July. Sorry, no miracle cures yet for 95+temps with no irrigation! Good Luck! Robert Stroud