Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2001, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

mwallingford:

We're practically neighbors. I live in Waverly, Ohio.

Use granular for on the lawn for fert and crabgrass preventer and liquid on post emergence for broadleaf control. Granular post emergence is not very effective. Ofcourse, you'll get a pesticide applicators liscence for the herbicides.

OSC
Old 01-25-2001, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 12 volt spray setup I mentioned from http://www.Westheffer.com , is made for spraying lawns in a dry fertilizer / liquid weed control proram. I recall it was about $1,500.00. It uses a pump that has about twice volume of most 12 volt pumps that we are use to. It pumps up to 4.9 gpm where most only pump up to 1.8 or so. It is always been my understanding that the preferd setup for spraying lawns was low pressure, high volume, which this setup does do. It is made to fit sideways well forward of the wheel wells on a pickup, so you can have the entire rest of the bed available for bags of fertilizer.

When I was looking at it, I was assured that it was very capable of spraying lawns just like it's bigger brothers. I was told it was developed to be a lighter unit to handle and operate. Main exclusion was the use of a heavy hose and the noisy gas motor. Seems Westheffer had LCO's that wanted something that was quiet and did not have to have that big heavy hose. It was also developed to fit into trailers and vans without worry of gas motor exhaust.

I did not get it myself since I too, like others mentioned in above posts, wanted a rig I could use maybe later for rootzone ferts, tree spraying, firefighting?, etc... But, the intended purpose of my post above is it fits perfectly as just a quality made small operation sprayer or for just spot spraying.

POCKETBOOK? - I made no mention of granular pesticides. I mentioned use of granular fertilizer. Makes no difference how much your liquid product costs. It could cost only .50 a 1000 sqft and you spray a 30,000 sqft yard it cost you $15.00. Sure that is no big expense, but if you only spot sprayed say about 2,000 sqft it only cost you $1.00!

Plus, in this senerio, which I can see no one disputing this,you place LESS chemicals in or on the planet earth, you yourself or your crew was exposed to about 90% less pesticide at time of application, likely less exposure at time of mixing due to lower annual use, which leads to lower cumulative lifetime exposure! Lawn spraying is not that old of a business in this nation. It will be many years before the final cumulative exposure problems may show up from the new pesticides that we are spraying today. Why are so many of the old ones that used to be sprayed gone today? #1 reason is safety for applicator and egology.

Liquid fertilizer is generally easier on the pocketbook than granular, but at not the same results. Most sprays are a quick green which require more apps. If paid by apps, then knockin down some bucks. If paid for season, spending too much time to do apps as well as keep up with irregular growth when mowing. I just think a slow release granular is the way to a steady growing green lawn at a better cost than slow release spray fertilizer.

Now of course there are no perfect properties and no two accounts are alike, so these ideas may or may not fit your LCO. But they do mine.
Old 01-25-2001, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

spraying equipment

If your in the market for a tank unit give BMI a call at 863.655.2228 ask for Rich. Their units(frames) are made of aluminium and they have some very good prices. They can also make just about any custom equipment you might need.
I also want to put in my two cents about lawn applications.
i would use granular for all your fert needs and liquid broadleaf for weed control. if your lawns are large 1 acre and up buy a perma green unit or equivalent. From experience trying to spray those lawns with a hose will kill you. If there small use a 200 gallon skid unit. Like the other guys said you can use it for other types of applications and you can always sell it later if you out grow it.
Old 01-26-2001, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Frist of all it is great to see that there are guys in KY. Who are on the forum.
I am in central KY(45 miles south of Lexington)

I have been in the spraying side of the lawn care buisness for over 5 years. I use 100 % liquid herbicides, and apply granular fert in the fall.

There is a place in Lexington that sells all types of spray rigs their are Ryan's Ag Supply. 859 233-0057 ask for Mike.
They can fix up about any way you want to go 12 volt or gas engine pump.

If you have any questions you can e-mail me.

Good luck

MARK DOUGLAS
Old 02-27-2001, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

does anyone have the 25 gal sprayer that fits on the walker mowers? I am planning on having 200gal tank for water and mixing 25gal herbicide in the sprayer tank. does he walker setup work OK?
Old 03-04-2001, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll be getting my pesticide license this month, and have a few questions.

First the only advantage I see with using a skid rig is the ability to offer deep root injection.

I can't imagine dragging a hose around a yard for blanket apps. Do people really do this? Wouldn't it be much easier to use a sprayer with booms.

I used to be a farmer. We had a 3000 acre small grains farm. We used a no-tillage program which required a lot of chemical applications. We had a 1000 gallon 100 foot boom pull behind sprayer. The booms had wind screens plus the booms were hydraulically adjustable for height. We could spray in almost any wind conditions with very minimal drift.

Now that I'm in lawncare, I would love to see a similar unit on a smaller scale. Not necessarily a tow behind unit. But something more on the lines of a ZTR mounted unit. I know there are units for ZTR's available but does anybody know of a unit with wind screens and adjustable height booms?

I will not drop 5 grand for a perma green unit. Although it looks like a nice unit. I also do not want to spend 2k or more on a skid unit that I feel is very un-efficient.

Being new to applying pesticides on such a small scale, I might need some enlightenment from those of you that do apply on a day to day basis. Tell me why I should want a skid mounted rig. Explain why they are efficient opposed to my limited view of them.

Would I be wise in taking an old JD110 garden tractor and building the sprayer I want? I could mount a 25 gallon tank to it, a 10 foot boom with height adjusted hydraulically by the original hydraulic deck lift. Pump by Northern. And fabricated wind screens.

All comments, feedback, and criticisms encouraged.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2001, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mountain

I personally do not have a Walker sprayer and I really aint too wild about the idea. I think that the front mount is bad for the operator because of potential drift back in your face and also because of the corrosive effects of some pesticides on the metal as well as the air intake to the motor. The other thing is that spraying out front allows the wheels to pick up the liquid and I believe that this can concentrate the application as well as transmit it to places you may not want it.
I personally am going thru the eval. stages for a sprayer also and am leaning towards a skid mount or some type of rear disch pull behind unit for the Walker. Good Luck.
Old 03-05-2001, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jason2,

I think the biggest reason for sprayers with a hose and reel like a skid mount are the versatility, better application control, and the speed, and the less use of a truck or trailer space as well as less equipment involved. Also with a skid unit you can off load it when it is not needed. Most LCO's do not have a need for a dedicated sprayer truck setup, bigger operations might, but a average size company already has plenty of pickups to haul a slide in skid unit.

Chances of having only large open areas without fences, courtyards, etc... are very slim. I think most LCO's likely spray smaller than 1/2 acre lawns where there are drives, walks, decks, swingsets, pools, sheds, etc. Most LCO's would be done and on to next account before you got a 10 foot boom to the backyard and you would still have a few spots that would need some spot spray.
Old 03-06-2001, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Skookum,

Thanks for the input. You brought up a few points that I hadn't considered.
Old 03-09-2001, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

MOW ED

thanks for the input I hadn't considered that , only wish I read your post earlier since i already ordered the unit. maybe i can drive around backwards LOL . i'll see if the boom can be mounted over rear wheel

also is there a web site that has MSDS's for pesticides ??