Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Would you purchase PDA estimating software if it existed?
Yes 38 90.48%
No 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2004, 04:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Tx_Angler sign me up for the beta test, I think its a great ideal! I personally hate having to take notes in the field and come back to the shop to enter everything into excel, this should be a big time saver.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to see something like this. I use qxpress for scheduiling and it has made scheduling a whole lot easier. You can put me down for testing the program, I am up for that!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiedeman
I feel that if there was an all around program for schedules (routes) and something that did with estimates I would jump on it.

I have been wanting to use a PDA for use for schedules and then just upload into the computer but I have never been able to find anything
What about Qxpress
Gopher
Clip
They don't do estimating but for scheduling and using, and entering data in the feild and uploading to computer. Qxpress is the one I am using
Old 11-05-2004, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tx Angler...for what its worth Im a pda junkie. Being a small operation who cannot afford office help, my pda is my "mobile scretary". On my third pda as I broke the first 2 and will likely drop this one . When I went to buy a new one, I was disappointed to see there were so few choices as there had been just a year ago. After a bit research, I learned that Sony is getting out of the pda business and others are cutting back on product offerings. Apparently the reason is that pda sales are flat as a result of "organizer" functions now being built into cell phones. I've looked at one of my employees cell phones who has the new organizer functions and its not for me as the pda is far easier to use and has more functions. I'll stick with pdas. Reason I'm mentioning this is that you may not have a strong pda software demand down the road and you are probably already aware of that possibility.
Since you asked for opinions on software needs for the land-business heres my gut reaction:
1. I rarely ever do estimates in the field nor do I have a need for that capability
2. the basic palm os meets most of my needs (schedule/calendar, phone "s, todo lists with priorty ranking, calculator etc)
3. we use a paper daytimer to record daily job times every day all year.
Its quicker and frankly easier to use the paper calendar than entering this data into a pda and theres no risk of losing data as with a pda if it crashes (yes we do backups but the daytimer is easier)

Entering any significant amount of data into a pda is in my opinion, still their achilles heel whether using the grafitti, or tapping the letters using the onscreen keyboard.

Bottom line is I doubt I would buy additional software for the pda but if you still move forward with a beta version I'd be glad to be one of your "testing" people. Good luck
Old 11-05-2004, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am highly interested in this idea. However, your software needs to be Zire PDA compatible. PM me so we can discuss more details.
Steve
Old 11-24-2004, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

To those interested I just found this software. Kind of exspensive but, here it is anyway.
www.jobtimetools.com
Old 11-24-2004, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that is a pretty cool estimating tool they have there
Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i haven't bought a pda yet for fear of them only lasting two weeks.

cell phones only get 6 months with me
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 11-25-2004, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I would love to be part of the beta test (if you develop windows ce version) I have been using a pda for about 4 years and use it alot in my full time profession. undefined
Old 11-25-2004, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

angler, apparently i missed this thread the first time around. like you, i'm a consulting refugee (ncr and andersen consulting/accenture). i have a dell axim and did the same thing. there were no decent window/siding estimating softare packages for pda's, so i wrote my own (relatively easy given the windows platform). i recently did the same with my lco business.

if you decide to make a run at a commercial version and you want to bounce anything off of me, feel free to pm me. if you haven't already, check out handango.com and get a feel for whether that's a place you might like to try selling it. i've known a few people who make veeeery good livings developing niche software products.

good luck,
tony