Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-05-2004, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Bagger System for JD L110 tractor

Would this even be worth buying for my JD tractor in helping out getting up leaves instead of bagging them myself. I mean I'm small time and thought maybe it would be easier and faster for the customer, if I bought the bagger system they sell for my model, mulch leaves up and fill the bags, go to my trailer and dump them in large tarp in back of it, and go back and keep doing it until they are all gone. Who has tried this with their riding lawn mower? Will the bags hold up? Just don't want to go put $300 into the system if it's gonna be a big waste of money. However, I don't mind if they fill up fast since I won't have to rake as much and bend over to bag manually. What do you folks think?

Thanks for any help.

Adam
Old 11-05-2004, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have any experience with a bagger on a lawn tractor but i'd say it would work pretty good. I'm sure the bag would hold up because they are made from some tough material.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Travis. Would be good to have one regardless if I use it for leaves or not I guess. Have a good one.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the JD bagger. My personal opinion, skip over the bagger, save up a little bit more money and buy a RedMax 7001 for leaves/clean ups. The bagger does work ok, but I like using a BP blower for leaves a little bit better.

If you try bagging the leaves, you will notice that if there are too many leaves they will start piling up in front of the mower deck and you will be pushing them around rather than sucking them up.

The JD bagger's mounts are made of cheap quality metal/steel (what ever they use). I have bent the bracket that keeps the bagger connected to the mower many times. I have taken a hammer to it each time to get it back in condition but the bagger doesn't completely line up now. It still functions the same though.

Plus, if you get the BP blower, you can use it for cleaning driveways also.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks ALarsh. I have a back pack blower but not as powerful as you suggested. Older RedMax but not bad. I was looking just another alternative maybe to bagging and tarping on the yard and instead sucking up some with bagger system and taking to tarp already in my trailer and dumping full baggers in there. Then go back and chop up some more and just keep doing that. Sounds like I may wear out the JD system though from what you say about it being a bit cheap for doing this job. That kinda sucks. I'll have to rethink a bit longer now. We'll see..
Old 11-07-2004, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What I do is take my 7001, or any BP blower for that matter, and start blowing the leaves into a large pile. Once that pile gets too large to keep pushing around affectively, I then take a tarp and a rake and push all the leaves (or most) on the tarp. Then move the tarp to where ever I need it and keep on doing the process over and over until done.

If you start chopping them up and then take the BP blower to blow them in a pile, then it will be much harder to get all the leaves out of the grass. The JD deck doesnít have a very good suction to suck small leaves out of the grass.

The bagger works just fine for cutting regular grass with minimal amount of leaves. But make sure you donít get it caught on any swing sets. That happened to me a couple of times even though I thought I pushed the swing out of the way, nevertheless, it wasnít pretty.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

bagger

i have a bagger on my craftsman tractor. its not a john deere but it is close to the 110. it works just fine for me except everyonce in a while the chute gets clogged. you have to unclog it and keep goin. as for leaves, if they are tonz of them i run them over with the walkbehind with gatorz on it. then i take the tractor over it and it sux up all the little pieces. it mulches them up twice so they pack better. you dont get everysingle little piece, but i do get the most of them. i hope this helps

lance
Old 11-13-2004, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The bagger will hold up and do fine, only thing is it fills up so fast that you spend alot of time dumping. Blowing leaves with a back pack and using a tarp may be faster, you just have to see what method works best. The key is too not let them get too deep on the yard if you are going to bag them. I would check into a trac vac or cyclone rake system if I didnt have a system to collect leaves, it is more money but cheaper than buying a bagging system and then purchasing something later because you arent happy with a bagger. Been there and done that and the $300 bux for the bagger would of been put towards a better system

Old 11-13-2004, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On my way home last week I notice a guy with a Trac Vac, so I stopped. He had a JD 120 with a Trac Vac Model 860. The leaves were 6 to 10 inches high. He had the mower deck up all the way and that Trac Vac was sucking up everything. He bought it two months ago.

I called Woodland Power Products and gave me a name and phone number of a Cyclone Rake owner. He had a Cub Cadet 1515 lawn tractor with a Cyclone Rake (small one) and the leaves were 4 to 8 inches. The Cyclone Rake was sucking everything up. He has own the Cyclone Rake for 5 years.

These systems were getting the job done and beating up the leaves and packing the leaves in. I'm also looking for a way of getting up leaves and this could be a option. Thought I share this if your looking for another way to get up leaves.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a L110 w/Bagger. I think it works great. My technique is to go over the leaves first with the mulch plate on, and then mow again with the bagger. The first pass mulches the leaves very fine and reduces the space needed to haul them off. I can pick up at least three times the amount of leaves without dumping the bagger. I throw the leaves into the back of my pickup and when Im ready to roll, I throw a tarp over them to prevent them from blowing all over the road. It seems to work alot faster than piling the leaves on a tarp and moving the tarp. I put the leaves on my compost pile for next years garden.

Mike