Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2004, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gopher-preneur book of the month, Nov. '04

Losing My Virginity : How I've Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way
by RICHARD BRANSON

Richard Branson has got to be one of our all time favorites. He founded his businesses with one motto. Business should be fun. Richard surely has had a lot of that and we wish him much much more fun in the future.

Tuesday, November 9th Fox broadcasting kicks off his latest project. A new television show entitled "The Rebel Billionaire." How fitting!

How did he get started? The very first thing he did that was a success was Student Magazine. He was a teenager at the time and operated from a London basement. By the summer of 1967 the magazine started to take off and had a circulation of over 50,000 copies an issue. While working on the project he was living away from home in a rented basement with a constant flow of people in and out of the project. It was a very exciting time for him. Inspired by that, in 1969 he decided to develop a mail order record company. Virgin Music.

Later he created Virgin Airlines, Virgin Cola, Virgin Mobile, Virgin Mega Stores and many many more. In fact his latest company Virgin Galactic will soon be able to launch you into space for the sum of $200,000.00.

He is also a world record holder. His Virgin Atlantic Flyer was not only the first hot-air balloon to cross the Atlantic but was also the largest balloon ever made at 2.3 million cubic feet.
WOW! What an inspiration this man is. Read more about him. Read his book, we did.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had been thinking of order this for a couple weeks now. Ordered 2 copies yesterday. One for a holiday gift. I'll let you know my thoughts when I read it.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto
I was also looking at Jump start your business brain by Doug Hall....Marty Grunder recommended it in last months L and L magazine.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the feedback and book ideas! Let us know how you liked this book and the other that was mentioned.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Finished reading "Losing My Virginity". A few comments:

The book is not written as a motivational type book. It is more a history of how Richard Branson got his business going and many of his stories, accomplishments, failures, and adventures. It is not written to give us tips or ideas on how to run a business; other than have fun at what you do.

The beginning seemed like he wanted to talk more about his sexual conquests and drug use as a young man/college student. The book does have a lot of personal stories and that was a part of his life then.

I enjoyed his story on not backing down to British Airways when they were slandering his name (personal and professional), and trying to put him out of business. BA should have worried about themselves and not a small airline. Branson did not want his good reputation tarnished and fought to keep it that way, going all the way to suing BA for hundreds of millions of dollars. And an apology.

I sympathized with his decision to sell off his "baby", Virgin Music. But in the end he knew his employees would still be kept working, he and his partners had made a lot of money, and with that money he could keep another venture, Virgin Atlantic, flying steadily and out of debt, rather than folding it up.

I did enjoy the book very much. His adventures in hot air ballooning interest me since I am into ballooning as well. Enjoy the book for what it is; stories of failures and success. But try not to think this will be the one book to change your outlook on your business.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi DanaMac,

Thank you for sharing your views!