Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2004, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

leaf clean up weather..

do you guys call it a day when you're trying to do a leaf clean up and the wind gusts are near 50mph??!! yesterday was like a circus. in every direction. we'd get the property cleaned enough to mow, and then th ewind would blow everything from across the street into our hands.... and then vice versa . the wind actually blew my rakes that where leaning onthe truck about 10 feet. i was going to call it a day, but i'm too backed up. it had to be funny to watch us though.. think i could add a wind surcharge?? :blob3:
Old 11-06-2004, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are suppose to blow the leaves into the woods. Then the wind blows them back after you leave the property. Then next week you charge the customer again for another clean-up.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuter
You are suppose to blow the leaves into the woods. Then the wind blows them back after you leave the property. Then next week you charge the customer again for another clean-up.
woods? i've seen those on TV a couple of times...
Old 11-06-2004, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Funny thing....last week in Detoit...the winds were gusting to 50 mph. I had a cleanup to do with my wife. It was our first cleanup ever and the first cleanup at the client's house. He knew very well that he would have to do another cleanup since there were still leaves on the trees.

So, after 4.5 hrs and 21 bags, we left. When i looked at the property while driving away, i saw that the grass was covered with leaves from his neighbors' yards.

The next day he said that we made a "Bad business decision" by doing the cleanup in the wind. He wanted a break on the next one since he paid us $125 for the 4.5 hrs at his yard and did not see much difference.

george
Old 11-06-2004, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrentz
Funny thing....last week in Detoit...the winds were gusting to 50 mph. I had a cleanup to do with my wife. It was our first cleanup ever and the first cleanup at the client's house. He knew very well that he would have to do another cleanup since there were still leaves on the trees.

So, after 4.5 hrs and 21 bags, we left. When i looked at the property while driving away, i saw that the grass was covered with leaves from his neighbors' yards.

The next day he said that we made a "Bad business decision" by doing the cleanup in the wind. He wanted a break on the next one since he paid us $125 for the 4.5 hrs at his yard and did not see much difference.

george
see, for us, we don't just do one clean up. we keep our mowing schedule (and prices), just add extra leaf clean up fees to the bill . so i'm pretty much covered there. i did my job, after i leave (and you) you shouldn't be responsible.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

adam, i completely agree with you....My wife spoke to the guy (not a regular customer) for 45 min the next day.

She said, "what would happen if it was perfectly sunny and calm while we were doing it and 2 hrs after we left a wind storm blew everything in your yard....Would we still be responsible?" He still insisted that it was a "pood judgement" on our part.

george
Old 11-06-2004, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If he only paid you $125.00 for 2 people to clean up his yard, and you spent 4.5 hours doing it, he should consider himself lucky. That is a very low price. If it were me, and I work alone, I would carge him $45.00 per hour for the clean up. If I had help, it would be more like $60.00 per hour. Tell him to call around and see what the other companies in the area charge. Then maybe he will consider himself lucky.

You may want to reconsider your pricing.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ya, once the winds gets up and going usually I will not go out and work (waste of my time) or I will just finish up the job that I am doing and call it a day
Old 11-06-2004, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When it gets that windy(and its happend twice this past week) i just call it a day.Its not worth the effort and usually pis$es the customer off.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We carry a 50' roll of plastic snow fencing to blow the leaves into on tight properties.We set it in a V pattern, whichever way the wind is going to blow them if really windy.The we suck em up with the trac vac.I had one the other day I quoted at $ 275.00 for on site disposal, figuring it would take 2 hours tops to do, since we could blow them into the woods over the back yard hill.The wind changed to blow at our backs ten minutes into the job, and made the job ten times easier and faster.It took only one hour and ten minutes to complete. Had it been blowing the other way all day, we would have left and came back, rather than fight the wind and lose money. Some days you don't have a choice in the matter,though. Gotta get it while the gettin's good!!