Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2004, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I can use the wind to my advantage I do. The other day that same wind was here and it come out of the northwest. The weatherman forcasted it and he was right. I planned to be at a property that would put the wind to my advantage. It was like I had 50 Billygoats working, I would kick some leaves up and they sailed into the woods down wind from me. The only thing was that I kept eatin exhaust until I learned to turn sideways and walk. The property looked great and the leaves are trapped in the woods now.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

bill, good idea with the fencing.

mow ed, the problem we have on days like this, there was no set direction at all. it gusted every way. leaves out of the yatd. leaves in the yard. and in 2 minute intervals total circus.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I fought the wind and the wind won.

There are some days when it is pointless. Customers may get angry, neighbors do get angry. On super windy days I say F it. One good thing is that there should be a lot of leaves down by Monday so we'll be in good shape after next' week is done.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguyland
I fought the wind and the wind won.

There are some days when it is pointless. Customers may get angry, neighbors do get angry. On super windy days I say F it. One good thing is that there should be a lot of leaves down by Monday so we'll be in good shape after next' week is done.
yup, then the next round of arguments will begin, "i'm not paying for the whole cleanup, you finished up by nov. 10th, you don't expect me to pay this entire bill."
Old 11-07-2004, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exaclty bobby.

That's why I go every week, like FGA, to do leaves until Turkey day. Then one or two visits in Dec and all done. This way when they get the final bill all is clean and no bizatching.

It's gonna be pretty windy this week again and friggin cold in NYC metro area. First freeze should be here which is great cause lawns will stop growing.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguyland

It's gonna be pretty windy this week again and friggin cold in NYC metro area. First freeze should be here which is great cause lawns will stop growing.
oh man, lows around 32 degrees. i actually like that weather. hooded sweatshirt, and a warm vest, and a thermos of coffee. also, its too cold for anyone over 35 to come out and "chat" with me...

i hope we don't get the wind chills though... nothing helps with that.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, go away chatters of the people variety and hello to chatters of the teeth.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We called it quits early on friday here in CT. After a while, there is simply no point to doing leaves. We had 50 mph gusts blowing from 3 different directions, so it was pretty pointless to try and work. If it were all going in one direction, it would have been different. Sent my guys home early, filled up,the gas cans, made sure the equipment was greased, and went home. If we had tried and worked through it, we wpould have accomplished little, and pissed our customers off by billing them for nothing.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upidstay
We called it quits early on friday here in CT. After a while, there is simply no point to doing leaves. We had 50 mph gusts blowing from 3 different directions, so it was pretty pointless to try and work. If it were all going in one direction, it would have been different. Sent my guys home early, filled up,the gas cans, made sure the equipment was greased, and went home. If we had tried and worked through it, we wpould have accomplished little, and pissed our customers off by billing them for nothing.
thats the day it hit us. and weather speaking, you're not too far from us, so you got hit with the same front. blowing in every damn direction. i actually got in 9 hours though. how productive i don't know, but i got alot of the smaller ones done.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

When it's windy, I won't do cleanups. I get far too frustrated. I nearly blew a gasket today with the winds.

Petrentz, I agree. You shouldn't have done the cleanup on such a windy day. I wouldn't have wanted to pay for it either.