Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2004, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Fast Rev B&S

I have a small Craftsman riding mower that was given to me awhile back. I decided to take the carb apart to clean it out and give it an all around tune-up.

Now that the thing is back together, it seems like if you bring the throttle lever off idle the thing winds up faster than all get out. I have the tab on the throttle "cam" or whatever you want to call it that attaches to the governor spring bent in most of the way so it doesn't pull too far back on the throttle arm that is in contact with the governor.

About the only other thing I did to it was add some Rislone to the oil to help free things up.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the governor, but I'd like to see if I can get any other ideas before I pull the motor out and break the bottom pan gasket to inspect the governor.

I have adjusted the governor arm by pulling all the way back on the throttle arm and then turning the lever CW with a screw driver and holding both while tightening the lock-nut.

I just don't know why this thing wants to rev up so fast like a bat out of hell right once I bring the throttle off idle...

The engine on this tractor is a vertical shaft B&S Synchro Balanced 11HP.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On a B&S motor to set the preload on a gov you open the throttle up wide open and which ever way the gov shaft turns, that is the way you need to turn the shaft after you loosen the clamp on the gov arm. If your engine did not do this before you cleaned the carb, you may have the linkages on wrong. Have not seen a gov go bonkers just by cleaning the carb.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

You could have done several things to change the defaults such as spring location from the GOV. link to the carb. or GOV. rod to link adj. could be off in the advance direction.
Sounds like you have the GOV. advanced to the max. though.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What you probibly done was lust hook up the linkages wrong like the two previous posts said.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

The throttle lever is linked to the throttle arm which clamps to the governor arm. I pull all the way back on that so the throttle plate is fully open and then turn the governor arm clockwise so it is fully pushing in on the governor cup. This would mean that if the throttle opened itself as far as possible, it would be pushing all the way in on the governor. This is the correct configuration, as far as I can see.

The spring setup is simple. There's a bracket with a rotating arm, which the throttle cable works back and forth and connected to that is a spring which goes into a hole on the throttle arm. There's only one hole in each piece, so the governor spring can't be off. The tab on the rotating arm is suppose to be bent in or out to adjust the spring tension to control the full throttle rpm.