Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Solo LCOs: How do you reduce the time it takes to service a lawn?

I want to get faster than I am right now. It takes me roughly 40-60 minutes for one lawn on a 8000-10000 sq. ft lot with a 26" mower. I know that a larger mower will reduce time, but I find that line trimming and edging take the longest time. What can I do get faster while still providing great service.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

know the lawn. you are always going to be slower the first time. once you get a pattern or order in which to trim you will not be thinking just working. this saves on wasted steps. gas up at the trailer, you don't want to be at the furthest point from the truck and run out and have to backtrack. keep a length of trimmer line in your pocket so if you run out on a property you dont waste steps walking back to the truck. i find speed feed heads reload almost instantly compared to the traditional bump feeds. carry a spare trimmer on the trailer, you dont want to drive home to get one when it stops working. just dont make wasted steps and it dont have to be perfect either. im not saying do a bad job, im saying that most customers cant tell the difference between what you think is perfect and what you think is 80%, and that extra 20% takes a lot of time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have you actually looked at your watch to see how much time it takes to mow it? Your biggest time savings will come from a bigger mower. You can pick up a minute or three doing everything else exactly right, but the time saved with something like a 48" mower would be huge.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Your biggest time savings will come from a bigger mower.
That's not always true.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 09-23-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My own lawn is 12k in sqft and takes me 15 minutes start to finish. A 21 inch mower used to take me an hr and 15 .That's the difference between a 21 and 48 inch mower for me.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Have you actually looked at your watch to see how much time it takes to mow it? Your biggest time savings will come from a bigger mower. You can pick up a minute or three doing everything else exactly right, but the time saved with something like a 48" mower would be huge.
Bingo. Do lawns that are 12k to 15k with a 50" and am done in under 30 minutes. I also use an Edgit on my trimmer eliminates having to go back to trailer for an edger.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
My own lawn is 12k in sqft and takes me 15 minutes start to finish. A 21 inch mower used to take me an hr and 15 .That's the difference between a 21 and 48 inch mower for me.
I do a 13k lawn with a 52" ztr. It would take 20 minutes. One day I didnt have the trailer and thought it would be easier to mow it with 2 21" then go get the trailer. It took over a hour.

The biggest increase in time would be a bigger faster mower. The first wb I had was a 44" it didnt cut time down in half because it was only slightly faster then a self propelled.

So to really increase time you need a ztr.

South Eastern Connecticut Pressure Washing

South Eastern Connecticut Spring and Fall Clean Up

52" Brutus/52" Super Surfer/44" Pro Line/60" ZMaster
EB630/EB802/EBZ7150/EBZ8000/BR400/Billy Goat 8Hp
2 FS55/FS90/FC95/2 KM90/L322/L326/TR2350S
HC150/HC155/CHTZ2460
00/04 silverado 8ft Fisher/F250 01 9.5v Fisher/
CASE 1816/CASE 1845/
Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Over the years I have grown from a lawn boy to a complete lawn maintenance business. The only thing that has helped me is having high quality/strong equipment and the right tool/mower for the job.

I went from my dads old Murray push 21" to a 61" Scag Cheetah. I also make a point to tell customers I will be spraying round up where I would normally trim, only had one potential customer not agree to it and as a result, I never mowed their lawn. Have not had a single person complain about it yet. Now their are occasions where the lawn is really nice and it looks best if I trim, but if its a scraggly yard, which 90% of mine are, I spray.

Other than not having to line trim, my mower is the only thing that makes the actual mowing more productive.

The reason I implemented the round up policy this year is because my brother didn't want to work, so I spend an extra 5 minutes every 3 weeks spraying.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

First off why round up ,there are growth regulators out there.Why would your customers want dead grass every where?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would much rather kill weeds than regulate their growth, especially if the customers couldn't care less. And RU is much much cheaper. Oh, forgot to mention, I did have one customer end up not liking it, so I quit and continued to trim for them.