Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2004, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Vanguard only runs on choke?

I have a 99 16 hp Vanguard on my 52 Toro wb for some reason in the middle of mowing it all the sudden stops. I go to start it and use the choke to start it and it only stays running if I have the choke fully engaged. I put a new fuel filter, air filter and sprayed the carb w/ carb cleaner. It acts as if something in the carb got turned around or is this some strange briggs back up system telling me that I need a new carb? What do I need to do, thanks for any help
Jusmowin
Old 11-06-2004, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your carburetor needs to be cleaned. take the carb off and take it apart, spray with carb cleaner and blow it out with compressed air. If the engine is very old or the parts in the carb look pretty bad then you will want to go ahead and get a rebuild kit for it. Will cost you around $20-$25 for the kit.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Followell
Your carburetor needs to be cleaned. take the carb off and take it apart, spray with carb cleaner and blow it out with compressed air. If the engine is very old or the parts in the carb look pretty bad then you will want to go ahead and get a rebuild kit for it. Will cost you around $20-$25 for the kit.
This is true. What is actually wrong is there is something plugging your main jet. Maybe a piece of trash or even water. Anytime you see an engine that will only run on choke, the carb almost always needs to be cleaned. The only exception is an insufficient fuel supply problem. What is happening is the carb is being forced to draw fuel from a place it should not normally have to.

However, cleaning carbs correctly is not for an inexperienced beginner. If you have not had any proper training, you'd be much better off taking it to a shop. It's much cheaper to pay them to do the job right than to buy a new carb because you broke something which is very easy for an untrained person to do and not even know it. I fix problems like this all the time at my shop when I could have fixed it cheaper if the customer would not have "fixed" it first.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
This is true. What is actually wrong is there is something plugging your main jet.
I agree. My Grasshopper was doing the exact same thing. I took the carb apart and in the needle was the smallest piece of debris. I knocked it out and re-assembled everything. It ran like new!

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 11-07-2004, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the help........But I took off the carb and sprayedd it all down and reassemblened it and still the same problem, so Im guessing that its time to rebuild or replace the carb with a new one.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If that didn't help, you need to rebuild it or have it rebuilt.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Travis and everyone for all the help.....I went ahead and took the carb off and took it to my repair guy to have it rebuilt, so it should be done by the end of the day. If Im lucky Ill have my mower up and back on its tires again by tomorow morning

Thanks for all the help
Jusmowin
Old 11-10-2004, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem with a 16hp Vanguard a few months back. Would run for 18 to 20 minuted and then die unless the choke was on. I tried all the usual things new fuel filter, cleaning the carb, blowing out the fuel lines, etc. Finally decided the only thing left was fuel, drained the tank, used new gas and put in a quart, drained that, then filled up. It's run fine ever since. There either was something wrong with the fuel or I was getting some form of vapor lock, in any event if the carb rebuild doesn't do it the only thing left is gas.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Followell
blow it out with compressed air

This is key. I just cleaned out my 16hp briggs last night on the leaf loader. I went ahead and drained the gas, cleaned it out, reassembled. Still wouldn't run. Blew it out and ran like new

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"