Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2004, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Anybody heard of LESCO? What do you think?

A gentleman on the site mentioned a Lesco to me earlier as I am looking for a ZTR. I have LESCO dealer near me, called and was quoted $5800 for the Z-TWO 60" 25HP KAW. The price seems great but had not heard of them before, how do they stack up to say hustler and exmark??? Quality of build and longevity????????????
Old 11-12-2004, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have the unit you are asking about but I have heard good reports on them.

the older ZTR was not such a good machine, however.

GEO
Old 11-12-2004, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we used to deal alot with lesco years ago. as they have grown thier service here has fallen apart.

the main problem with lesco stuff like mowers, etc, is they are like kenmore. they sub out to other manufacturers. it can be very hard to get parts.

we had 8 lesco hedge trimmers, 4 lesco stick edgers, 2 lesco hedge trimmers, and 5 lesco blowers.

they were all ecco stuff. the problem is that a few years back they switched manufacturers. it now takes WEEKS to get any parts. ecco dealers cannot cross referance thier model #'s. even though the lesco stuff is not in that bad of shape, we are now half way through replacing all of it due to the part availibility problem.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 11-12-2004, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased the Z2 60" this year, it goes like hell, but I am not overly happy with it only put 80 hrs on it, It is made by Cub Cadet, look at the Cub Cadet Tank, it is identcal, We use Walker mowers here, I was just hoping to get some speed for the big accounts. With a grass handling system it might be ok, otherwise it makes a mess.

Hope this helps
Old 11-12-2004, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

oops, meant 8 weed eaters
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 11-12-2004, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currinson
I purchased the Z2 60" this year, it goes like hell, but I am not overly happy with it only put 80 hrs on it, It is made by Cub Cadet, look at the Cub Cadet Tank, it is identcal, We use Walker mowers here, I was just hoping to get some speed for the big accounts. With a grass handling system it might be ok, otherwise it makes a mess.

Hope this helps
bet you paid more than if you bought a cub cadet?
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 11-12-2004, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello, and thank you all for your time. You said it made a mess and needed a handling system. If you dont mind telling me, what did you mean, need to bag it or what.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2004, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an older 48" Z Two. Controls are somewhat clunky, but I've gotten used to them and can control the mower well. Have put 300 hrs on it since buying the business and have no problems. I have 600+ hours on it. I can only buy Lesco blades for this one because of their size/configuration, but that is ok. My Lesco blades outlast my buddy's Scag blades 2 to 1. Cutting floratam with the mulch plate on is supurb, even in the middle of summer when the grass is at it's worst. Fuel consumption with a 19hp Kaw is good. My buddy LCO has a 48" Scag, it drives much smoother, but the cut is marginal, and the blowout is terrible. If we could have the handling of his Scag with the cut of my deck, we'd be both be in heaven. HTH......
Old 11-13-2004, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendave
I have an older 48" Z Two. Controls are somewhat clunky, but I've gotten used to them and can control the mower well. Have put 300 hrs on it since buying the business and have no problems. I have 600+ hours on it. I can only buy Lesco blades for this one because of their size/configuration, but that is ok. My Lesco blades outlast my buddy's Scag blades 2 to 1. Cutting floratam with the mulch plate on is supurb, even in the middle of summer when the grass is at it's worst. Fuel consumption with a 19hp Kaw is good. My buddy LCO has a 48" Scag, it drives much smoother, but the cut is marginal, and the blowout is terrible. If we could have the handling of his Scag with the cut of my deck, we'd be both be in heaven. HTH......
The fix for your Lesco's handling difficulties may be that
you need the steering dampers [shocks] replaced. If those dampers get worn out, the steering gets really jerky - on any Z - not only the Lesco/Cub Cadet machines. Normally , the machine you own has a very good, very easily controled steering system.

Your buddies Scag 48" Tiger Cub doesn't have the deck properly leveled. I noticed you saying in another post that you adjust your deck to run the blades a 1/4 in. lower in front than at the rear. That is the correct way to do it alright. The thing is , from your description of how his Scag mows, I would guess that his mower is tilted up higher in front than than in the rear. Also, he probably has the front air guide baffle misadjusted for your local conditions. In fact , from your description , I wouldn't be surprised to find that the bottom adjustable part of his baffle is not even installed on the mower deck.

The only way that the Scag deck could perform as you have described would be caused by :

1-the blades being installed upside down - don't laugh, it happens more often than you would believe.

2- The deck is tilted way higher in front. This can happen from just badly done adjustments to the hanger system, or it can happen from letting the rear tires inflation pressure get real low. - or both at the same time.

3- The air guide baffle that is under the front of the deck, just ahead of the blades is either partially missing or is really goofed up.

There is something radically wrong with the set up of this Scags deck, because properly adjusted, that mower is capable of giving a near flawless cut, and it will stripe the lawn superbly also. I mention the striping because a ragged cut will not have the grass all laying in the same direction - hence the stripe is not well defined. If you notice that a mower won't leave a well defined stripe, it is a sure indication that it is not leveled properly to get the air flow all going in one direction - and to be able to lay the grass over evenly in that direction.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

that Lesco Z Two is one hell of a mower. A friend of mine has a 54 in and i have a lesco w/b and the decks are the exact same. Please give it a demo. Theres a guy on here that runs nothing but Cub Tanks and it the same machine. He loves them. Wrinken is his name.