Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2004, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Had my name changed today.

Well, as you know It was Premier Landscaping, but someone already has it in the area, plus I wanted a name so it would make it more personal with the customers. So i had it changed to Marks Premier Landscaping, LLC. I like that name better now, plus the LLC, its alot better than just the DBA I had for Premier Landscaping...

Anyway, the LLC is way better and only $50 (if you do it yourself, i dont understand why people pay hundreds of dollars for an LLC when they can drive to our state capital and get it for $50).

anyway what do you guys think... Good choice of Marks Premier Landscaping LLC. I was thinking Premier Landscaping Contractors or Big Marks Landscaping, but there is already Crazy Joes and Little M's landscaping, so i really didnt want Big Marks. lol. Anyway, what you guys think. Only downfall is I have to get my trucks re-done, but its actually better because now it'll say LLC I like the Mark infront better because it gives the customers a more personal feeling IMO. (like Three C's compared to Landscape Services, i'd pick three c's if I were a customer because i'd just feel a closer relationship with the owner even though you'd never meet him) JMO, whatcha think?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Did the discover the duplicate name on your own, or did the other LCO bring it to your attention?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE
Did the discover the duplicate name on your own, or did the other LCO bring it to your attention?

actually my brother told me a while back, and just now like 10min ago METRO pmed me about it, so i just figured i'd share with yall. Thats funny though, the day I changed it someone PM's me about it. What a kawinkidink.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's good you caught this now. I know a guy that owns an auto repair shop. He only works on Volvo's, so he had "Volvo" in his company name. After 6 or 7 years Volvo found out about this, and he had to come up with a new name. He sent letters to everyone he ever did work for so they would know he hadn't gone out of business. It was a lot of work and $$ to make the change.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE
It's good you caught this now. I know a guy that owns an auto repair shop. He only works on Volvo's, so he had "Volvo" in his company name. After 6 or 7 years Volvo found out about this, and he had to come up with a new name. He sent letters to everyone he ever did work for so they would know he hadn't gone out of business. It was a lot of work and $$ to make the change.
yea, whats what I was thinking... see, my bro pointed this out to me a little while back, and my dad said something about it last week, and my dad went to register his business so I asked him sense he was going to Lansing to change mine too. Plus ALL of my customers know my trucks, and know my name is mark, so "Mark's Premier Landscaping, LLC" should only help me. :-D

But howcome when I went to get my DBA in March they didnt tell me Premier Landscaping was taken?
Old 11-13-2004, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wasn't sure how it all worked when I first started. I live in an incorporated town in Virginia, so I had to get the biz license thru the town. The clerk asked me if I'd checked with the county clerk to make sure the name wasn't being used. I was like "Oh, yeah, of course..." Then I made a beeline to the county clerks office to search the database and register the name.

Although in Virginia a biz name under a sole proprietorship is not "protected". You have to incorporate your business to do so. So someone could still come along and steal my name.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds like you really like it.. so that's all that really matters. Congratulations!

Is it Marks without the 's?

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 11-13-2004, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mark...I agree with you.

I like the new name!

You can just add the name "Mark" over the original name on your truck and add the LLC at the bottom!

Good Luck!
Old 11-13-2004, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep, just add "Marks" in a scroll type letter at an up angle right to the top left of the "Premier Landscaping", and then LLC in smaller letters just to the bottom right, you're all set.

And yeah, same question as someone else posted. Personally, I'd make sure the " 's " is after Mark, instead of just Mark"S". Should read Mark's Premier Landscaping. Unless you've got a hitman after you, then it could read Marks Premier Landscaping.

Just .02 getting thrown in.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mark, found out that the other one is located in Livionia. They would have registered in Wayne County. That is why you were not told. You could have run under the original name, but with both of you working in the same metro area... could have caused problems later on. Geez, I registered Metro Detroit Landscaping & Metro Lawn Service. I have Metro Landscaping located less than a mile from me, and there is a Metro Lawn Maintenance in Shelby.
Lawn Service Divisions
Warren - Harrison Twp. - Detroit - Lenox - St. Helen
(586) 634-2904 (313) 885-9090 (989) 443-4380