Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-14-2004, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Fuel Gauge not working....

Hey gyes just bought my first peice of machinery Case 1840 93'mdl had no problems with except the fuel gauge reads full all the time, I read that I should check the ground connection but dont know where that is ? The little owners manual is pretty basic on information, any help would be great thanks...
Old 11-14-2004, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Start by removing the gauge to see if there is juice at the back of the terminals. If so, it sounds like a stuck float on the sending unit. To remove this,pull the sending unit out of the top of the tank. Should be a little round plate about 3" in diameter with 6 or 8 srews holding it down. With the unit body still grounded to the frame, turn the key on and move the float to see if the gauge resonds. It sounds like either the float is stuck in the up position, or, the sending unit itself has a bad coil, which, is internal and replaced as one part. All that unit is, is an electrical voltage device. When in one position, the juice is greater, and it sends the needle over to full. As the fuel level drops, so does the amount of juice being sent to the gauge, thus, the needle drops.

Sending units can be somewhat pricey, and you can fake it pretty easily, as long as the hour meter works. After 8 hours, calculate the amount of diesel you will burn and fill at the end of each 8 hour shift.

Hope this helps
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 11-15-2004, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for ya help mate i'll check the float when the fuel level goes down a bit, umm...... I was gonna check the chain tension (drive chain) any way I thought the sump would need to be drained but in the book it said nothing about it so went ahead and pulled the inspection plate off (round plate thingy) and as I thought it started pouring out anyway it was a grey colour is that right? Ive only worked on motorcycles so maybe the colour is different just wondering if thats the right colour?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Alex:

If you have water in the chain case, it will make the oil turn grey, or even white. Drain it out, and put in the manufacturers recommended blend.
www.naturescapelandscape.com