Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2004, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Trimming Hydrangeas

Do they need to be pruned drastically this time of year? Location is GA. What is officially the right time for shaping hollies, indian hawethornes, etc?
Old 11-14-2004, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is officially the right time for drastically pruning Indian hawthorn's?

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 11-14-2004, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks
Do they need to be pruned drastically this time of year?
i usally trim them, and spirea, after they are done flowering in early, mid fall. depends on you weather how long in to the fall. thing is, you can't cut back too much, if you're expecting a decent flowering (if any) the following summer. if they are real big, you can trim them back, but won't get flowers next summer. there's a rule of thumb, like 2 or 3 buds down from the flower, i don't remember exactly, i use my own judgement.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is from Ohio St. Hope it helps

WHEN DO YOU PRUNE HYDRANGEAS? This question can make even the most experienced horticulturist stop and think. There are so many hydrangeas on the market now that it is sometimes confusing as to when they should be pruned. Whenever in doubt, determine the bloom time and if the plant blooms on new wood or 2nd year wood. Following is a primer on pruning
some of the common hydrangeas grown in Ohio.

* Climbing hydrangeas (Hydrangea petiolaris) - These bloom on the previous years' lateral shoots. No pruning is actually needed, however if some shoots go astray or if training is necessary, prune after blooming.

* Smooth hydrangeas (H. arborescensi) and panicle hydrangea (H. paniculata) - These bloom on new growth so they should be pruned in the early spring before plants start active growth. Smooth hydrangea flower much better if pruned back annually to a woody framework. Smooth hydrangea cultivars include 'Annabelle' and 'Grandiflora'. Panicle hydrangea cultivars are numerous and include 'Grandiflora', 'Pink Diamond', 'Tardiva', and 'Unique'.

* Oakleaf hydrangeas (H. quercifolia) - These bloom on old wood and can be pruned after flowering if necessary. Cultivars include 'Alice', 'Pee Wee', 'Snow Queen', and 'Sikes Dwarf'.

* Bigleaf hydrangeas (H. macrophylla) - These are hardy in zones 6-9; therefore, stems are often killed back in central and northern Ohio. They bloom on second year wood; if they survive the winter, prune them after blooming. There are numerous cultivars including 'All Summer Beauty', 'Forever Pink', 'Nikko Blue', and Glowing Embers'.
"But at home one is bound with petty regulations and irksome restraints.....He feels lost even in great crowds, for nothing and no one seem in sympathy. The people he knows may be good fellows, but they do not understand him, and he does not understand them. he longs to get back to the bush, for there he felt an exaltation that no civilized land can possibly supply." -Denis D. Lyell
Old 11-14-2004, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hydrangeas are pruned in the spring and never drastically. Unless you don't mind them not blooming.Hollies, if I'm not mistaken can be pruned this time of year, unless you're like me and just rip the damn things out. Not sure about the haweethorns, but would like some info on those myself. I have a client that wants guite a few installed early spring.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison
Old 11-14-2004, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks
Do they need to be pruned drastically this time of year? Location is GA. What is officially the right time for shaping hollies, indian hawethornes, etc?
For the Indian Hawthorn(CRATAEGUS)Need minamal pruning,be carefull or you will expose the inner branching.Late winter or early spring when dormant.Remove wayward and crossing shoots to maintain healthy framework and dead or dieing branches.If it is a hedge then trim after flowering or in autumn.Hydrangeas same as above for most species but for H.macrophylla,H.'Preziosa',&H.sarrata, prune yearly after flowering,cut off last seasons flower heads to the 1st bud or pair of buds below each flower head,with established plants ,cut back 1/3 to 1/4 of the oldest flowering shoots to the base.And for the rest of this info invest in The American Horticultural Society's A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants it's expensive but will pay for itself in no time.DON'T Prune unless you know what you are doing.