Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-14-2004, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trimmer Preference

What trimmers do you guys run. Right now I have 2 but they aren't commercial. One of them has a special head with a 4 way string, the other is only 2. One is a craftsmen, the other homelite. If I keep using them so often I'm sure they are going to go. So I'm going to get most of my equiptment for next year during the off season. I really have no idea about any commercial trimmers.

So what's good? What are you guys running? Thanks.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl, all the way
Old 11-14-2004, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just check around at your local dealers and see what's available. Don't select a trimmer on name alone, also consider the dealer that is selling it to you. Are they going to stand by their product and provide you with good customer service if it breaks down? Sometimes this can be just as important as the brand you select.

I got lucky. I like Stihl, and the local dealer that I work with is less than 10 miles away and provides good customer service.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use Robin trimmers, they are much lighter than others but have the steel shaft so that you can use a blade on them if you like http://www.robinoutdoorpower.com/pro-trimmers.htm
I also have some stihl equipment and I like it very well, I am a solo operator so any weight I can save in a days work makes it easier on me. Alot of other people like the redmax and shindiawa ,Husquarvana, and Echo. I havent used them so I cant comment but they are top grade companies also

Old 11-14-2004, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnboy, for lawn maintenance, I don't think anything else has the bang for the buck like a Kawasaki.. I've had excellent results from mine, the Ktr27a.. 1.6hp, 10.6 lbs, and I paid $220 for mine at a dealer, I've seen them on e bay for $189. But really it depends on your local dealer, and what he is selling ( and how much you thust him). On the other hand, if you are a mechanic/mechanically adept just buy it online and wing it.. either way, you won't go too wrong with a Kawi, (which you can get at Lesco's) Redmax, Stihl, or Shindaiwa...
Old 11-14-2004, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can get any type of trimmer from my local dealer, there are tons of dealers around me that are very close.

Those Robin trimmers look pretty good. I'm starting to see more and more 4-stroke trimmers. Is your Robin trimmer a four stroke?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No I am using the model 2050, it is 2 cycle, Im old school and not sold on the 4 stroke yet all though my dealer has some in the field in use with good results. The Robin has an oil pan on it and you have to keep a check on the oil level. Im not sure about the others but the stihl is 4 stroke but uses a 2 stroke mix for lubrication

Old 11-14-2004, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Red Max - always and always will unless something goes bad with them.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

have about 8 echo's but won't buy more. have a husquivarna that i like alot, have had a few robins, love them, have had shindawa, love them too. have a red max that i like alot. and have had a few sthil, but was not happy with them
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 11-14-2004, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like Stihl and Echo. They are both great trimmers. You would probibly be happy with either of them. We use all Stihl and Shindawia but we will be buying Echo's next. We have 6 Shindawia's and based on experience with them and other employee's experience while using them, I wouldn't recommend them.