Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-16-2004, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Flashing Beacon on Trailer

Occasionally, I have to park my truck and trailer on the street while I mow. I do use orange cones but I would really like some sort of flashing or rotating beacon that I could have on my trailer so that I would really get the attention of people driving by. I know there are strobes you can install,,,nut not at 200 bucks. Also, I don't think most people respond to regular street flashers so.......

any suggestions?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.lumastrobe.com/index.htm
Old 11-16-2004, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Richard....I just ordered the 12v LED beacon. I have been looking for one but the prices are ridiculous in most cases...

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 11-16-2004, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Many people don't even care about flashing lights on a fire engine so I would say you can try the rotator but be careful. It may be a bigger distraction to traffic than it helps you. Also check your local and state regulations regarding the use of those.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Safety is always a good thing and you hear more stories about cars hitting trailers. in addition to the safety issue I believe it is always a good thing to draw attention to a job in any way you can and I have them on for that reason also. Lots of people have lettering on the trailer and some have cones out but I have flashing lights to make them know who is working there. Been thinking of switching the color of the shirts next year for the same reason. (gray now, thinking of something bright). If we are noticed it is better for safety and for business.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In CT you are supposed to have a permit for using an amber (or yellow) flashing light or strobe on public streets. Most local police don't even know this, usually it will be a state trooper or DMV cop who will get you for this (of course, they will get you for anything if they are in a bad mood...).

Ask other landscapers in your area to see if they needed a permit for amber lights, and if they actually have them. Most guys don't bother with them, unless they do a lot of highway driving (state roads) or work for the state.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you want a REAL economical way to go, I would suggest the old style lollipop lights. These are the ones that were popular on the old construction barricades that run on 12v batteries. The batteries would last you a couple of seasons, easily. Visi-Flash is a popular brand of these, and you can find them on Ebay rather cheap. You could mount one on each side of the trailer at the back. The lights would be kept right in line straight forward to back. Then, if you want to use them, you pivot the amber lense 90 degrees and they are shining straight back. You just use a piece of wire to poke inside and turn them on. These used to be a hot commodity for us when we were kids. Everybody had to have one for their room. LOL

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I put strobes on my trailer just for this reason. Okay, I'm going to try and describe the setup as best I can. I bought 2 Target Tech Firebolt mini strobes. Mine are the higher amperage double flash models and they really put out alot of light. Also, all you have to do is provide them power, a ground, and have a switch, that's it. No power supply needed. Now these strobes are about $45 a piece I believe, I don't quite remember how much they were. So what I did is I made a pedestal for the strobes to sit on. The pedestal is about 12 inches tall, tall enough so you can see the bottom of the strobe over the fender of the trailer while standing in front of the truck. That way, the strobe can be seen from every angle around one side of the truck. If you make the pedestal too short, you won't be able to see the strobe from the front of the truck. Now I have one strobe on each side and they are mounted just behind the fender. I wish I had a picture but I put the trailer in storage about a week ago. So I upgraded my old 4 pin light plug to an RV 7 setup that plugs straight into the truck instead of using an andaptor. Now with an RV 7 plug on newer trucks there is a hot wire in there to run power to a camper and that's what we used for power. Put a waterproof switch (with fuse) on the tongue of the trailer out of the way and you've got it. Hope that made sense, if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Go hard, go fast, or go home