Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2004, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgland
Great idea GM. I picture on the top terrace a weeping Norway with a mix of some creeping perennials and maybe some soft ground cover juniper to hang over the wall on the lower terraces. Thanks for the kudos. It looks like you do some awesome stuff yourself....got any more pics?

Chris
Yes, there is definately room for a nice specimen behind the top course, on the r/h side. The weeping norway is a great suggestion. I also prefer perennials, for the mos part, over annuals.

I try to do good work.... I only have a few years under my belt, so I'm learning on EVERY job.

I have a few pics on page 7. Here's a couple others.
Attached Images

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 12-07-2004, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mark,

WOW!! thats a pretty big job form start to finish, looks great, wondered how big of jobs did you start out with? i.e. small walls, walled beds, etc.

thanks
G-P
Old 12-07-2004, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Pro
Mark,

WOW!! thats a pretty big job form start to finish, looks great, wondered how big of jobs did you start out with? i.e. small walls, walled beds, etc.

thanks
G-P
My first job was a bluestone patio, I learned A LOT on that one. From there I did a couple other walkways (a few good size ones) and a fairly large retaining wall.

I took whatever came my way. Can't be skeered!

Here's a few pics from my first year. They're a little small. I just pulled them from my website.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2004, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

a few more.....

I REALLY learned a lot that first year
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2004, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pics look good you do quality work. Did you have any help from somebody with experience when first undertaking these? I am planning lawn care and some landscape full time next year and naturally do not want to turn any work down. Not really scared but lacking some practical experience and thought maybe starting on some smaller projects would be good learning process.

Since turning in my resignation and with folks finding out what I intend to do I have had lots of questions about will you do retaining walls, beds, walks, etc. in addition to lawn care. Don't know if these folks are really looking for someone to do these jobs (lots complain about not being called back by landscaper/lawn care, or jobs just to small) or if they figure me quitting and doing this full time will be "hungry" for work. In any case looks like you do good work and like you said I'm sure I will be learning a lot. One thing that has struck me as being very encouraging is that it seems as though there is a lot of work out there if a guy wants to get after it, and thats a big yeee haaaa!!! as far as I'm concerned.

:blob3:

G-P
Old 12-07-2004, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had some help from a friend, who is a llifetime mason. For hands on experience, I did a lot of stuff at my own place, and some work for friends as well. I also did a lot of reading and research on my own to learn this stuff, plus I tried to apply common sense and knowledge I've gained through other jobs that I've had. It's fair to say that starting out, I didn't always do things as effeciently as possible. Live and learn and always try to improve on your process, even when you think you've got it nailed.

I definately believe the smaller stuff is a better place to start -- it just might not work out that way

Old 12-07-2004, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I had some help from a friend, who is a llifetime mason. For hands on experience, I did a lot of stuff at my own place, and some work for friends as well

I also have someone with experience (not quite as much as a lifetime mason though) to lend a hand if I get into a bind, also have done lots of practice at home and for friends, aint we all LOL. I to am a big believer in researching and digging up as much practical info as possible in conjunction with hands on. Looking forward to moving on to bigger and better projects.

Anyway thanks for the advice, pics and chat. take care

G-P
Old 12-07-2004, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Pro
I to am a big believer in researching and digging up as much practical info as possible in conjunction with hands on.
Me too. I don't like to lean to heavily on anybody. The more I learn, the more I find out that some people don't as know as much as I've given them credit for.

For example, one of the "experienced" guys I used was laying down a wall base, 6" of 3/4" stone, and made one pass with the compactor I find that when I have lots of guys working with me (up to 6), I keep a close eye on ALL of them.

Best of luck!

Old 12-07-2004, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here here! I think I'm more of a babysitter than an owner sometimes. You wouldn't believe some of the things I caught my "experienced" guys doing! Fired, fired, fired, and.......fired. No place for idiots on a site that has YOUR name all over it.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A few more

Here are some pics of a job we just finished last month

Last edited by cgland; 06-02-2006 at 09:12 PM.