Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2005, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice looking job!!!!!!!! Welcome to LawnSite

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 02-12-2005, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi
Glad to see someone else on here who is more involved with hardscaping. After viewing your first pic of the brick archway I asked myself how you kept that arch while it cured, then I saw the next couple pics of the frame work you installed. I've never done an arch like that before with anything but have been told the process of building the form and all by other masons who primarily built w/ stone. My question for you is pertaining to the brick arch. I know when you do a stone archway you have a "key" in the center that has a downward pressure on the rest of the stone work which theoretically keeps the whole structure solid, if you will. So back to my question .......with the brick what makes it keep its structural integrity? Is it reinforced? Just curious because I'm always looking to learn some of the tricks of the trade. Your work looks really nice, and again nice to see a hardscaper in here.
Take care
Mark
Old 02-13-2005, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good stuff.... welcome to LS
Old 02-13-2005, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the nice complements. The archway is really not that hard. The bricks are self supoorting without a "keystone". All of the bricks on the interior arch have been cut so that the mortar joints on the bricks are consistent. I'll attach a couple of other pics which the homeowner took as i was busily working away.

The picture of me taking down the buck was taken almost immediately after I finished laying the bricks. The mortar sets up quite quickly due to the moisture being drawn out by the absorbent bricks and so the buck can be taken out right away. It does of course take days before the arch reaches full strength but you just need enough strength to be self supporting. It is important to remove the buck before the mortar sets so that you can strike the inside joints. If you waited until the next day you would have major problems and probably would have to take a grinder to it grind out the hard mortar and replace it with fresh. Anyway I hope this makes sense.

The outside layer I did the next day by the way using the brick arch that is allready their for my buck.

Tim
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2005, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone that lives up north when I express my great feelings of jealousy that you were outside on January 26th w/ a t-shirt on doing stonework. You should see one of our current jobs. We bought a tent (actually one of those portable garages) to set up over two columns we've been trying to build all winter. Had to heat it because of the sub zero temps at night, so the mortar would not freeze. The only problem is that it's snowed just enough so we can't get there to do a good push on laying stone. When we do get there we need to shovel out the tent so we can get in and shovel off a 14 tone pile of stone we have tarped of 2 feet of snow. Mother nature isn't very considerate of us doing outside work up here.
w/ extreme jealousy
Mark
Old 02-14-2005, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLndscp
I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone that lives up north when I express my great feelings of jealousy that you were outside on January 26th w/ a t-shirt on doing stonework. You should see one of our current jobs. We bought a tent (actually one of those portable garages) to set up over two columns we've been trying to build all winter. Had to heat it because of the sub zero temps at night, so the mortar would not freeze. The only problem is that it's snowed just enough so we can't get there to do a good push on laying stone. When we do get there we need to shovel out the tent so we can get in and shovel off a 14 tone pile of stone we have tarped of 2 feet of snow. Mother nature isn't very considerate of us doing outside work up here.
w/ extreme jealousy
Mark

Well if it makes you feel anybetter. It is dang hot and humid in the summers and I'm rained out this afternoon.

Tim
Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Really nice!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Beautiful waterfall!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks great!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member