Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2004, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I considered posting a shot of my work. However, after seeing shot's of your work I just realized I'm a scrub landscaper.

G O R G E O U S !
Old 11-20-2004, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Old 11-20-2004, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is a picture from the FIRST paver job that I did fresh out of Landscaping School.
Attached Images

Last edited by StillScapes; 11-20-2004 at 08:42 AM. Reason: double picture
Old 11-20-2004, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How did you guys learn to do that? Incredible work.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks
How did you guys learn to do that? Incredible work.

Many years of trial and error!!!!! All I can say is study anything and everything you can get your hands on pertaining to the types of work you are planning to do. Manufactures of those products are a great source of knowlege and for learning new techniques. Call them and get literature and specifications. They provide seminars and workshops for new guys. These workshops are a great way of networking and learning how the other guys do it in other markets. Some manufacturers will even send reps out to work with you on your first project or work with you on bidding projects. I wish I went that direction early on. It would have saved me lots of money and improved our efficiency.

I would say another way of learning is to look around at your competitors work. Carry a camera around with you and take pics. You can learn more from your competition than you think. Once you understand the standard construction procedures of the different products lines you will understand how they built, how much it cost. But must importantly look at the design, cuts and all the detail work.

Get to know your competitors. There is more than enough work out there for everybody. I am good friends with 4 of the guys I compete with in my local market. We do a bit of networking by sharing leads, ideas, problems, equipment, plant sources, and I even share a contractors lot with one of the guys.

Hope this helps you out some.

Robert
Old 11-20-2004, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

im still a fairly young guy and i still have a ton to learn, but from day one i had a lot of great insight from fellow friends in the industry. each one of them said the best way to learn is to go work for somebody else. from highschool all the way through college i worked for myself, and still worked for another lco on the side. i cant tell you how many tricks and skills i picked up. i went to college and graduated and got a few great job offers and decided to go work for the company im at now. i have never been happier and each day i always learn something new. all i can tell you from my experience is try and follow what mid atlantic said, as well as if you can, go work for an experienced company for awhile. its like a free education. im very happy where i work now, and have given up going to work for myself, and am in for the long haul at the current company. i can honestly say i love going to work everyday, and i get paid to learn.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

work pics

here are just a few that i could find, now no there not as good as others on here but for 19 i dont think i am doin to bad
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2004, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are some landscaping pictures. I installed this garden in about 1 day. The other one is of one of my accounts I maintain.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok let me try that again.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2004, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

All the pic's look great.
Here's a little project I did awhile back, still looks great.
I will post the after pics next.
What, I hope, you will be seeing is the result of wanting the top to look good, without having to pay for what's underneath. We removed 200 yards of pure muck soil from the spillways/pond basin, in order to provide slope stability for this project.
Well, anyhoot........here's the pics.
Attached Images