Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2004, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Should I Attend (Business Seminar)

Allright, I have asked a lot of questions on this site about getting liscensed and insured and paying taxes/charging taxes etc. I want to become legit for next spring. I always get round about answers and you guys say to call so and so. Well, I call the small business development center and after waiting for a week I finally got to talk to someone. She once again tells me it would be best for me to call a list of 50 other people to get my questions answered She then tells me about this seminar on the 18th of this month. She says it will be very informative and it is for people starting a business. She tells me to attend this and my questions should be answered. She said there would be an attorney and an accountant and several others there to help. The seminar is 4.5 hours long and I am going to have to get out of school to go Do you think I will find this helpful to answer ALL of my questions? I am afraid I will get there and just hear yada yada yada and not understand what they are saying and leave in the same position I am in now. I need informative answers to my broad questions because when it come right down to it I am clueless. So my question is do you think this will be of much help. Thank you and sorry for the ramblings
Old 11-16-2004, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky03
Allright, I have asked a lot of questions on this site about getting liscensed and insured and paying taxes/charging taxes etc. I want to become legit for next spring. I always get round about answers and you guys say to call so and so. Well, I call the small business development center and after waiting for a week I finally got to talk to someone. She once again tells me it would be best for me to call a list of 50 other people to get my questions answered She then tells me about this seminar on the 18th of this month. She says it will be very informative and it is for people starting a business. She tells me to attend this and my questions should be answered. She said there would be an attorney and an accountant and several others there to help. The seminar is 4.5 hours long and I am going to have to get out of school to go Do you think I will find this helpful to answer ALL of my questions? I am afraid I will get there and just hear yada yada yada and not understand what they are saying and leave in the same position I am in now. I need informative answers to my broad questions because when it come right down to it I am clueless. So my question is do you think this will be of much help. Thank you and sorry for the ramblings

I see that you are 16 and I think it's very commendable that you are starting your own business and because of that I'm going to let you in on a little secret: You have to be able to learn from the experience of others - you won't live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself! If after attending the seminar you come away with more questions, you will have learned that there is always more to know. It's an evolving process and if you don't go to the seminar, you'll definitely be in the same position you are now, clueless.

Another option when going it alone is to contact your local Service Corp of Retired Executives (SCORE) office and ask them for assistance. They have counselors available and the service is free.

Good luck!
She was with the Russians, too
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Old 11-16-2004, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i assume that this is an SBA seminar for new start-ups? if so, then go. you seem to want the info, albeit you are afraid it will be over your head or not applicable. drink some coffee and suffer through it becuase even if you find it doesn't apply to you, odds are it eventually will. and NO, everything you want to know will not be applicable to you. your choices are this freebie (or low-cost) seminar or paying someone to help you. not too hard a choice.

the other thing, as angler pointed out, contact your local SCORE office. hit their website and you can search out the retired guys in your field that you should talk to. great resource all the way around.

as for what you need to learn, it really isn't rocket science.

tony
Old 11-16-2004, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to the Seminar! sometimes you have to listen to blah, blah but if you get ONE piece of good information that makes you a better business owner it's worth some blah, blah!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the last post. It may be boring. But if you come away with just 2 or 3 key things you didn't know before, it will be well worth it.

Trust me, after being in business for 8 years, growing by 30% or more every year and running over a dozen employees, 4-5 crews, etc. I only WISH I had paid more attention in the beginning to business seminars, accountants, attorneys, etc. It's been a real challenge managing all of the growth and keeping everything profitable. LISTEN TO THESE GUYS! They aren't just blowing smoke. Your business will eventually implode if you don't have sound business principles that you are minding very strictly.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-17-2004, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

make sure it's not an amway scam,
being a good landscaper and a good business person are totally different things, so i would say yes definately go.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 11-17-2004, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, I plan to attend tommorow. What is an amway scam? I will let you guys know how it goes and if I understood anything
Old 11-17-2004, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Husky...

Good move...Go to the seminar!

You will get some valuable ideas from them. Learn and apply what you can and if something doesn't interest you (or is not required at this stage of your business), don't worry about it.

You will be glad you did; I am sure.

As previously stated, there is lots to learn for Novices and Veterans alike!

Let us know what you learned...we can always use more knowledge too!

Old 11-17-2004, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest going, but don't if you'll miss anything important at school. Education is important. If there are any tests that day re-schudule ahead of time. What's an Amway scam? It's a pyramid sort of business with the key word of networking. They aren't going to target you yet because you're too young. Once you hit 18 they will pop-up. The idea is great in theory. It's a supply chain idea that creates a web of people reducing prices. The company has had a bad image in the past because of certain tactics. I haven't heard anything about them in a long time now. They used to be debt free and really into vitamins, cosmetics, and cleaning supply sales. Basically you're supposed to bring people in so you get to sell overpriced stuff cheaper. Most of the stuff can be easillly substitued at a Walmart for less. I was in it a long time ago, when I was 18 in fact and had no sense. Lost a few bucks but learned how to get shot down on pitches alot and how to try and get people to buy into an idea. Live and learn.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Go to the seminar. Being prepared to be in business is just as important as the business itself. Even if you dont get the answers you are looking for, you might find that your asking the wrong questions. I dont know about the availability in your area, considering your age, but You should also consider taking some of the business courses at the local community college.