Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2004, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

DR leaf machine

This is for anyone that has purchased a DR leaf machine. I have been looking at the DR and Cyclone rake and have determined I would like to go with the DR because of the chipper option and the way the sides are made. I see a few here said they have or are going to purchase the DR. How well does it mulch? How well does the chipper work? how much power does the extension hose have? Looking forward to your replies.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what are you going to hook it up to, what type of mower? if it's a zero turn, you can't buy it, they won't sell it to you and it voids the warranty because it jacknifes. Plus the DR field reports say is has a tendency to tip over.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, John deere LX172 riding tractor.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok well you can hook it to that for sure...they are both good machines, but the chipper option for small use would be cool
Old 11-18-2004, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

DR Lawn and Leaf Vac

In regards to the DR Lawn and Leaf Vac. I purchased one at the beginning of October and like it very much when it is not broken. Already the tube that exits the mulcher has a hole in it from something hard hitting it and the flange that the intake hose attaches to on the side of the mulcher pretty much broke in half and all I am doing is the normal leaf clean up. (Those would be the "con's" to the unit) The model I bought does not pivot like a trailer. It attaches do the back of my tractor with two pins. (Now for the pro's) The 5.5 hp B&S engine is plenty powerful and it is easy to clean because of the hopper being made out of plastic. When I purchased it, I did not get the chipper because I really do not have a need for it. It seems that it would just eat up to much time.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow that is pathetic. The Cyclone comes with a 6.0 HP motor, and I upgraded to puncture proof hoses....they are unreal. no pulling off the units, no holes or anything. Plus it holds more than the DR.....I have yet (wood knocking here) to have one problem at all, it even worked in the rain
Old 11-18-2004, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe I'll consider the Cyclone Rake after all.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Banned

Just something to think about....if you're leaning toward the DR because of the chipper feature, I would suggest trying to get a demo somehow (not sure if that's possible with DR?).

If their chipper is anything like the little home owner chipper I borrowed from my father-in-law, you'll be greatly disappointed!
The one I borrowed was a 5hp and was supposed to be able to handle branches up to 3" in diameter. Yeah right! Not a chance. It would barely take 1" branches and it beats up your hands from violent vibrating while feeding it.
Plus it clogs and is slooooow!

Granted his wasn't a DR, but I can't imagine this style of chipper being much different from one to the next. Same basic design.

I just wouldn't weigh my decision on that feature too much.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had my Cyclone rake for 6 years the only problems I have had is the canvas the zipper kept braking since then they have upgraded it no more zippers just Velcro and buckles and it folds down flat makes for easy loading.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cyclone rake is pretty unbeatable when it comes to durability. On 3third year of mine, had replace broken caster wheel, that's it, I even store it outside. Also considering taking off the bagger and leaving the frame on in the spring and building a box and using it to haul mulch, should be able to build it up enough to transport 1 cu. at a time. Huge timesaver on commercial jobs.