Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2004, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Largest Fall Clean up bill this year

What is the largest amount that you have charged for a fall clean up this year? What was involved (terrain, amount of leaves, etc) and the approx sq ft of the property?
Old 11-18-2004, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

15K property, residential, 2 Stihl BP's, LW push blower, 11 HP Trac Vac, pretty flat open land with minimal beds , etc. in the open yard. Live oak trees, red oak, white oak, maple, and river birch, plus a bunch of pine nettles from the neighboring park...grand total $ 900.00 for six hours(12 man hours ) time..that was the first one, we have since cleaned it up 3 more times with the Stander/ GG combo at an avg. of $ 185-215.00, so for the year total at this account, it will be close to $ 1500.00 or more
Old 11-18-2004, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

we did our best one today.. which covers 7 hours with 7 people... some are new people just for fall clean up that day... $1800 thats cheap.. last year is was double that.. took 7 guys 18 hours to do the same job..
Old 11-18-2004, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

My high will be around 900 dollars but it breaks down to 3 clean ups (many Maple and Oaks) at 2-3 hours each time and I haul all the leaves away
Old 11-19-2004, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

man, so far my highest is just over $1000. And i do it all by myself. IT SUCKS
Old 11-19-2004, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Years ago at my old job we did a clean-up every year, it was usually around 3 days for 3 men. Man did it suck big time. About an acre of turf, plus a few acres of horse pens. Leaves so deep we'd just lay the tarp down and start piling them on, no need to blow anything at first. No idea what my boss charged them, that was on a "need to know" basis.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bill.. help me understand why it takes that long to do a 15K property. I don't do a whole lot of leaf jobs but I've done larger lots than the one you described in much less time.

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 11-19-2004, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tom, this particular lot sits by a city park, there is no access to the back yard area for the one ton and Trac Vac, so everything back there has to come around to the front for vacuuming.The house also has 6 sunken window wells, and I forgot to mention, 14 very mature , very large canopy oaks and maples.The propert is fronted on two sides by a 2' stone culvert, which gets heavy and wet.The first cleanup of the fall also included in that 12 man hours, about three for stick/ branch removal from dead wood knocked out in a big windstorm.The box on my truck holds 7.1 cubic yards of shredded / vacuumed leaves, and we had to dump it three times.. After that one, we have spent about 45 minutes to an hour every other week blowing everything into the yard, and collecting with the Standers.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well that explains it.

I was seriously considering getting a Pro Vac for my Dixie and a leaf loader for my truck but now I'm thinking it would be a waste of money. I haven't had a job where my Choppers could not make most of the leaves disappear.

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 11-19-2004, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah Tom, I'm really digging the Standers with GrassGobbler setups this fall. We have mulched and bagged a few yards that were covered in 6-8" of leaves with no problems. In the deep leaves, they get stuck between the front casters, acting like a plow. As you push them across the yard, they are being continuously sucked under the deck. We get the leaves in a central part of the yard, go over them first, then put the bags on, and go over them again, reducing them yet again. When the baggers are emptied, the leaves are pulverized like dust. On regular weekly cleanups on a few accounts, I have put the mulching plate on and went over the lawn with no bagging. This has allowed us more cleanup options this fall, and not required the larger equipment on many accounts, freeing it up for HOA removals and subbing to other LCOs.