Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2004, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how much should i charge per hour for a cleanup, in NY,just myself and the machines

Putnam county new york, just me and the machines. How much per hour would you say is competitive and fair to me and the customer? Thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

IMO 50-60 per hour. But you my be better off bidding it as a job not per hour.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

depends on the machine and if you are hauling away the leaves or just dumping them somewhere. I get $30 an hour per guy with my push blower. But since I quoted these jobs by the job and I am not using my ztr to blow all the leaves one way I am about twice as fast. So I am getting around $60 now. You will scare people off with hourly rates. Or they will say work for x number of dollars and then stop. Take your best shot and give them a price for the job and let them know that they could recieve a discount once the job is completed if it goes faster than planned.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale
Putnam county new york, just me and the machines. How much per hour would you say is competitive and fair to me and the customer? Thanks
Putnam county area is pretty upscale, if you do top quality work and have the good pro equipment I would say 150-200 an hour......
Old 11-20-2004, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

any other ideas for price? I was using an 11hp giant blower, ehco bp blower, tarps and rakes. How much per hour do you guys normally charge for just the one man and the machines? Thanks
Old 11-21-2004, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live in westchester and charge 45 an hour or on 20 bucks a tarp load depends on the property

masonry and landscape services for the lower hudson valley
Old 11-21-2004, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds pretty good, i think i am going to go with the 50/hr. The 60/hr seems a little high to me, nice but high. Anybody else have some thoughts on this?
Old 11-21-2004, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would totally disagree with you logic of $60 is nice but high. What happens with this logic is that you're not accounting for all expenses and selling yourself short thinking that $50 is ok. When this happens, your not pushing your business to profitable levels to allow it to grow and expand and to buy new and better equipment, or maybe replace your current equipment. When in doubt, charge just a little more to make up for the unforeseen expenses.

PS Not bragging at all but I state my hourly fee @$60/hr. in Central Kentucky where living expenses are halved by upstate NY. Coudn't imagine trying to live off less with twice the cost of living. For example, my house two years ago 1700 sq. ft. 34 yrs old in the city I bought for $112K. I've seen similar houses in your area on HGTV selling for mid $300's. Usually in the $330-350 range.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like your thinking. And further more you are right. The more i thought about 60/hr seems just fine. Thanks for the input. I have been doing lawns for 16years. But it has always been a part time gig. I always have struggled with how much to charge and have never lost a lawn for price. My problem is that too many of my customers are neighbors, friends or friends of friends. It is all by word of mouth. But i am not interested in screwing myself either. I will stick with the 60/hr and my cutting is almost $1/min so i think i am ok there.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale
I like your thinking. And further more you are right. The more i thought about 60/hr seems just fine. Thanks for the input. I have been doing lawns for 16years. But it has always been a part time gig. I always have struggled with how much to charge and have never lost a lawn for price. My problem is that too many of my customers are neighbors, friends or friends of friends. It is all by word of mouth. But i am not interested in screwing myself either. I will stick with the 60/hr and my cutting is almost $1/min so i think i am ok there.
Your dialed in on the $1 min, but the leaf thing imop is way off...... Consider that you have 16 years exspreience and all the good pro equipment which translates to speed in other words what would take a home owner a full day or longer you can do in two or three hours you deserve to make more than 60 an hour......... family and friend are tough too work with..........