Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2004, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Tanaka hand held power equipment

Hello, does anyone have experience useing anything from Tanaka. Looks to be solid commercial equipment. here's there website http://www.tanaka-usa.com/
Old 11-19-2004, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We run two of their string trimmers. Throttle triggers broke on both with less than 30 hrs. No other problems. My helper loves their auto feed head. No bump, string just comes out when needed by its self. I would rather have the bump head. The one big thing is Tanaka 2 cycle oil. I run it in everything.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 11-19-2004, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Two of their hedge trimmers, an extended-pole hedge trimmer, shred-n-vac unit, a regular string trimmer, a stick edger, and a walk-behind edger. Never had a problem with any one of them for two years now. Always start and always perform their intended task.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Zak, I've used some of their gear before, like string trimmers, and the WB edger. It is pretty good equipment, but I've heard for more than one person that parts CAN be difficult to get, and expensive as well.. If the dealer was stone reliable and you were getting a great deal, I'd probly go for it, otherwise, I'd steer clear of it..
Old 11-19-2004, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had one of their wed eaters years ago. Was Ok machine, difficult to get parts fast. Used one of their hedge trimmers at work, was a pile of junk in no time and still had problems getting parts. Some areas of the country seem to have eaiser time with getting parts. Husquavarna takes a while to get parts here as well. Depending on how good your dealer is and how well they are connected to their supply chain you may want ot consider another brand. It really comes down to weighing life of the equipment and how practical to fix. Personally I feel Echo or Sthil or Shin would be better but that's only my opinion. Tanaka may have gotten better over the years.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your replies. the dealer was offering all his remaining tanaka equip at his cost ( Hadn't done very well selling them and is changing to another brand) There are very few tanaka dealers around, so I'd probably be better off buying a more popular brand that I could get parts for.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Tanaka parts

CAll Smith Distributing at 405-947-6484
Old 11-20-2004, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Tanaka machines are okay but IMO the only dealers that really carry them only do it because thay can't get anopther major player like Echo or Redmax!
The trimmers run fine, especially the TBC 230 and the 250, but they seem to lack teh real muscle that commercial people often need.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncat
Tanaka machines are okay but IMO the only dealers that really carry them only do it because thay can't get anopther major player like Echo or Redmax!
That's funny you say that, my dealer carries all three you mentioned.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have bought 5 pieces of Tanaka over the last 5 years. They changed their engines last year and now they are guttless. Damn California emissions. I wont buy anymore. :blob3: