Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2004, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Question: Florida pesticide applicator Job.

Hello Members.

I have a question about expanding my Business.

Because of Hurricane Charley wiping out a good portion of my nursery I am thinking of increasing the size of my Pesticide Application Business. Florida has very strict rules about who can sit for the applicator certification test. Therefore Pesticide licenses are hard to come by. Under Fla Law I can hire Part Time people that are in the green industry full time.

What are the chances that Lawn mowing people would be interested in working Part Time for my company on a commission bases with taxes and worker comp etc.????? They could sell and service many of their own mowing accounts.

Now under law I would have to give them a minim of 5 days training. However I feel I would have to give them more training than the required 5 days. Of course the more they know the better job they could do. Of course A problem for me would arise 3 years from their hire date. When they themselves could apply to sit for the Pesticide test. However since I am 64 years old I do not see that as a big problem for me.

Of Course I could not service the entire state of Florida. So I am thinking about limiting this Idea to a select few in the near by area to me.

Now any input to this idea would be appreciated. I am sure I may be missing some point. But let me made one thing very clear. This is not a rent-a-license scam. I want to keep everything on the up and up. I do feel this could produce me a increased income. At the same time it would be a chance for good people to get a Pesticide license while still keeping there own business in tact.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ric,
if someone up here in NH came to me with that offer, i'd run as fast as I could to you to sign up. It's a very good deal for both parties and allowing them to use the knowledge and license to fert their own customer base is exceptional. Up here in NH the licensing guidelines are so strict, having to work for another licensed applicator for around 4 years as an apprentice and then take the test, makes it improbable for someone working as an LCO let alone why would someone be willing to train someone who would be their face to face competitor in the future. Kudos!

Mike
Old 11-19-2004, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ric...You're What..64 yrs old & 2 years out of TruGreen ?

Too Old to worry about expansion...focus on finding a good retirement home....Florida should be a good Spot to find one Cheap.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ric,

I agree with Mike. I wish I lived closer so I could take you up on that. And I admit that I would be looking to sit for the CP test when my time was up. I would be willing to sign a non compete agreement for a reasonable time frame or at least a non poach agreement.

I don't want to become an app only business, but the current law makes for a distinct limit on what I can do without it and still be fullservice.

If you can think of a way to make it equitable despite the distance I would be very interested.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision
Ric,

I agree with Mike. I wish I lived closer so I could take you up on that. And I admit that I would be looking to sit for the CP test when my time was up. I would be willing to sign a non compete agreement for a reasonable time frame or at least a non poach agreement.

I don't want to become an app only business, but the current law makes for a distinct limit on what I can do without it and still be fullservice.

If you can think of a way to make it equitable despite the distance I would be very interested.

Precision

Too bad your not closer to me. I think you would make a fine applicator. I think you also know how having a legal way of providing Pesticide would help your business. Customer are tired of getting double talk from there pesticide guy that blames the Mower man and vice a versa. Once I got my pesticide license my business tripled over night. Just last Feb I sold off over 200 residual mowing account because I had reach the point of diminishing returns. Yet I still have over 100 mowing accounts left. Real Full service gets you into real upscale markets. It is a win win situation.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 11-20-2004, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i agree with fareway
Old 11-20-2004, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would jump on the opportunity I wont drop my bizz to work for someone else so its nearly impossible for me to get certified, the part that upsets me is a lot of pest control companys are doing bad service. One of my accounts this year had fungi at least 4 times chinch bugs 6 times etc the pco solution is to throw more nitrogen making the problem worse. Another property had spots that wouldnt grow so I took a soil sample to the extension office and it came back with a ph of 5.0 why wasnt the pest control company able to figure that out in the 3 years they have been treating this yard. my favorite one was back in august the customer is out of town and was using tru green, there are chinch bugs feasting on the lawn and the trugreen guy leaves an invoice stating the customer has dry spots and needs to run the irrigation for 1 hr per zone 3x week. the sad part is we had over 14 inches of rain that month, I ended up calling a different company to treat her lawn 3 days after trugreen was there. Its very frustrating watching these guys give bad advice some trying to blame the lawn guy who is a certified Master Gardener
Old 11-20-2004, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
i agree with fareway

Bird of a feather flock together. Neither one of you have the intelligences to read Dick And Jane Primer.

Promo

Once again, Too bad you are not closer. Let me see how good this works with closer people. Then we maybe can talk.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Bird of a feather flock together. Neither one of you have the intelligences to read Dick And Jane Primer.

Promo

Once again, Too bad you are not closer. Let me see how good this works with closer people. Then we maybe can talk.
i don't know ric, at 64 yrs old, and being around pesticides as long as you, i think it would be wiser to think about other things .
Old 11-20-2004, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
i don't know ric, at 64 yrs old, and being around pesticides as long as you, i think it would be wiser to think about other things .

Bobby

I thank you for your concern. However I have only been around pesticides for about 5 years now. Today's pesticides are much safer than the DDT's of yester years. As more forward in the 21th century they will be even safer, If that is possible.