Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch installation pricing in Florida.

I just bid a mulch installation job for 60 yards of pine bark on a very large lot. The customer said he wanted the mulch installed by the first weekend in December. I submitted a bid of $2400 total and the customer said he felt that was too high. The bid is $40 per yard which includes the price of the mulch and includes delivery. My price for mulch is $18 per yard plus $90 for delivery of 60 yards.That works out to $1170 plus tax of 6% for mulch. Total material costs are $1235 which leaves $1165 for installation. That's less than $20 per yard for installation.

Is that too much for installation here in Florida? What about the rest of the country...any other examples?
Old 11-23-2004, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

don't know about fla, but here, for 60 yds i'd go down to $55 per yd. i buy it for around $12 a yd
Old 11-23-2004, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'c call the "Flying Mulchman" out of O town n have him blow it in at $35 per yard n bank $10 extra per yard for the phone call ..... your price of $40 per yard installed is a very good deal for him ....n if you want to spread 60 yards .... which is a lot of mulch ... just in perspective in "bags of mulch" thats 840 BAGS .... also the delivery charge of $90 is fore the full 60 yards .... cause that like almost 1/2 of a semi truck

Tell him good luck elsewhere or sign the contract n get a
depoist

http://www.flyingmulchman.com/

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com

Last edited by Fantasy Lawns; 11-23-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't touch that for less that $50/yard, and that's if the areas to mulch are somewhat open. I would add to that if there are alot of places that are heavily planted due to the extra time in those areas.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Lawns
I'c call the "Flying Mulchman" out of O town n have him blow it in at $35 per yard n bank $10 extra per yard for the phone call ..... your price of $40 per yard installed is a very good deal for him ....n if you want to spread 60 yards .... which is a lot of mulch ... just in perspective in "bags of mulch" thats 840 BAGS .... also the delivery charge of $90 is fore the full 60 yards .... cause that like almost 1/2 of a semi truck

Tell him good luck elsewhere or sign the contract n get a
depoist

http://www.flyingmulchman.com/
The mulch supplier uses a 20 yard dump truck and only charges me $30 for delivery for a 20 yard load. But I can't get him to discount the mulch. Either way $90 total for 60 yards is a good price for delivery. I've got a guy to help with the install. The two of us should be able to to do the job in 2 days.

I don't think anyone else is going to bid lower than $40 per yard, but I did talk to one LCO that said he does it for $35 on jobs using 25 yards or more. He's not bidding the job because he is 3 weeks behind on mulch installs and can't get the job done in the specified time. There is no way I would do it for that. My time is worth more than that.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Like fantasy said if you want to go that low then only with a mulch blowing truck.

Call bolling forest products. 407 869 9003. In Longwood. They have 2 or 3 blower trucks. Not sure on price, but why throw it when you can blow it. 10 yards throw. 60 yards you gotta be nuts.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly I'd sub that out in a heart beat ..... even if I only make $500 on the job .... that's just fore a phone call

N I understand doing it one's self n making even more .... your price is perfect ....if he passes .... good luck to him ....n go on your way

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com