Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-28-2004, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Right Oil Mixture Stihl

I just bought a new Stihl blower (420) and the kid selling me the blower said to add a little more oil mix in with the gas(for a 2 gallon tank add the amount of oil for 2 and a half gallons of gas). Also, i was also wondering if i should keep the mixed gas separate for my echo trimmer. I am thinking i don't but just would rather be on the safe side. Thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I see no reason to use extra oil over what the owners manual says. Along the same lines, if the the Echo is 50:1 use the same oil as he Stihl or whatever the engine calls for.

Mike
Old 11-29-2004, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run Stihl BP blowers and I use to put in the Stihl 50:1, but I change to Opti-2. Opti-2 50:1 IMO is alot better, more power, runs smoother, non smoking and the spark arresting screen in the exhaust does not clog up, stays clean.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Amsoil 100/1 in all my 2 cycle equip. www.amsoil.com

All the spark arresters come out right after I purchase the equipment.
Cub 21"
Lawnboy 21"
Cub trimmers
Cub hedge trimmer
Cub chain saw
Poulan chain saw
Stihl hedge trimmer
Kawasaki blower
Homelite handheld
Southwest 7x16 Enclosed
"04" F150 5.4 8' bed
Assorted other moneymakers
Porti Potty (very important)
Old 11-29-2004, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

right oil mixture/Stihl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGLC
I just bought a new Stihl blower (420) and the kid selling me the blower said to add a little more oil mix in with the gas(for a 2 gallon tank add the amount of oil for 2 and a half gallons of gas). Also, i was also wondering if i should keep the mixed gas separate for my echo trimmer. I am thinking i don't but just would rather be on the safe side. Thanks
I have a lot of Stihl equipment...all call for 50:1 mixture. DO IT ! JIM.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

All I use is Stihl oil and mix it to 48 to 1 I don't lean my fuel completely out it is slightly oil rich. I mix my fuel 10 litres at a time Stihl sells a little bottle of mix oil that makes 50 to 1 with 10 litres of gas. I never had or have carburator problems with my 3 Stihl saws and FS-85 trimmer.

I never had to have my Stihl equipment repaired for carb problems my FS-85 is 5-6 years old the carb has never been touched. I only used Stihl mix oil since new same with my MS260 046 Magnum and my 051AV runs better than ever on Stihl 40 to 1 mix.

The little Stihl bottles are perfect its the right amount of oil for the ratio you want to mix no need for a measuring cup no more dealing with not enough mix oil left in the bottle.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Mix@ 50/1. Too much oil can be bad to. Too much can form a carbon buildup 'under' the rings and cause them to stick, or move outwards, wearing prematurly. I can't understand why anyone would want to mix @ 100/1. Some has said that @ 100/1 their engine doesn't smoke or foul plugs.. A engine in good shape wont smoke or foul plugs. @ 50/1 either. The savings can't be much, if any, definatly not worth voiding your warranty, and risking engine failure. If the engine isn't ran very hard you could probably get by with 10/40 havoline for years also, but for us in the business of running two cycle engines 8 hrs a day...stick with what the manufactuer recommends.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't believe I just read this on amsoil's site.

Amsoil motor oil

They recommend 25,00 miles between changes to justify their cost effectivness???

Any oil, no matter what kind, gets dirty just as quick as any other. No oil extends the change interval.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I have worked at a multi line motorcycle dealer as a service manager for the last 12 years. I also was a service manager for 3 years at a commercial lawn equipment dealer. I cant believe the number of people that dont want to follow the manufacturers recommendations. Why? The people that design and build engines are way smarter than you and I. Anything that lowers perfomance or shortens life is death to the company making the product. Stihl does all kinds of testing to get the maximum life and power out of their products. Do what they say and your equipment will last a long time. As oil technology progresses two stroke engines will tolerate less and less oil. This does not mean use less than what is recommended. The Amsoil that can be run for 25,000 miles makes me nervous. The oil may be better but there are all kinds of combustion byproducts that leak past the rings. What happens to the oil as it gets progressivley more and more infected with contaminants? Oil still needs changed for this reason. I dont believe the 25,000 mile oil change theory and I dont buy the 100:1 theory either. I know a lot of peole love amsoil, personaly I wont use it. No offense to any one just my opinion.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you put in extra oil in the mix that means less gas which means a leaner mixture which means a hotter running engine with more deposits under the rings, in the exhaust port and in the muffler which means more money for the dealer.

Go ahead and assume the manufacturer of your equipment doesn't know as much as you do, it just means more money for the dealer.

Amsoil and Opti-2 are 100-1 oils and if you run them at 50-1 the dealer will get to make some more money.

FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS CONCERNING 2 CYCLE RATIOS.

Oldtimer