Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-29-2004, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

60 a yard is what I charge unless there are circumstances that I will bid higher. Circumstances would be. Small gate that requires using something other than large wheel barrow, Lots of flowers to mulch around, large back yard or length that I have to haul mulch from trailer to. I can do at least 2 yards of mulch in an hour and mulch only costs 17 a yard. I have a yard min. If I have a big install I will get help and pay 10 an hour.
For instance I had 26 yards to do. I had one helper and 26 yards of mulch. Helpers pay for the day was 60 and mulch was 442. Total gross for job was 1560 - 502 for mulch and labor. My profit was 1058 for 6 hours of work. For me that was 176 an hour. Take out my everyday operating costs of 19.68 an hour, and that is 156.65 an hour profit.
Now I know most people are going to say 19.68 an hour opperating costs for moving mulch with a wheel barrow. I arived at an average price per hour from last years total hours divided into my costs to operate machinery, truck ins and payment, fuel, insurance costs, advertising, maintenance and Im sure I left a few things out. Any ways cost of all this divided by hours = operating costs.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So how bout if i charge liek this:

Material : Mulch $(the cost of the mulch i pay)
Labor: 50/hour
Delivery:25-30.00

Sound good?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Banned

I think its best if you charge a set amount per yard installed. When you charge by the hour customers won't know what they're gonna be paying you until the job is finished. I think most people actually charge per yard installed.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont know about up north but down here our cost on mulch black/brown is around 9-12/yard. We get about 60/yd installed. I can make money at this rate and still stay competive with the local market.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slcareco
and that includes your labor? what if it was a job that was bout 2 yards and took longer then you thought 60/yard will cover it? You cant go back on a bid

The price is 60 dollars a yard installed. If I need 3 yards I charge 3 x 60.

Your customer shouldnt have to pay you more money because it was installed at a slower pace.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc
60 a yard is what I charge unless there are circumstances that I will bid higher. Circumstances would be. Small gate that requires using something other than large wheel barrow, Lots of flowers to mulch around, large back yard or length that I have to haul mulch from trailer to. I can do at least 2 yards of mulch in an hour and mulch only costs 17 a yard. I have a yard min. If I have a big install I will get help and pay 10 an hour.
For instance I had 26 yards to do. I had one helper and 26 yards of mulch. Helpers pay for the day was 60 and mulch was 442. Total gross for job was 1560 - 502 for mulch and labor. My profit was 1058 for 6 hours of work. For me that was 176 an hour. Take out my everyday operating costs of 19.68 an hour, and that is 156.65 an hour profit.
Now I know most people are going to say 19.68 an hour opperating costs for moving mulch with a wheel barrow. I arived at an average price per hour from last years total hours divided into my costs to operate machinery, truck ins and payment, fuel, insurance costs, advertising, maintenance and Im sure I left a few things out. Any ways cost of all this divided by hours = operating costs.
Like he said, special circumstances will change the price
Old 11-29-2004, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulch here goes for $30 per yard....I in no way will take the time out to go pick the mulch up and then charge a customer cost for it. No industry does that. My furnace went down and my HVAC person wanted to charge me $350 plus $150 to drive an hour to go pick it up for a(I kid you not) $60 part which I purchased and installed myself.

I have a good idea of how long it will take to do a job and I work at a good clip and get my $35/hr putting it down. No one has complained in the 3 years I have been doing this and my customers are glad to have someone who does this for them and makes their property what it is.

Do not cut yourself short...if your customer wants have them call and make arrangements to have the mulch delivered, arrange for a good time to have it dropped off, placed somewhere convenient and tidy and covered up so it wont sit smack dab in the middle of their driveway....then let them do so, otherwise charge what you feel is fair and just.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Expensive Mulch!

It sounds like you guys pay a ton for mulch.

I've shopped around up here, and can get GOOD hardwood mulch, double shredded for $16.25 per yard.....I charge the customers per yard.

They pay $20 per yard, plus anywhere from $20-35 per yard installation.

So, total price: $40-55 per yard....usually closer to $40, as long as I don't have a lot of detail work, or long hauls.

Sometimes will throw on flat rate delivery charge $20-30 for the job.

If you get a good system down, you can work quickly and profits come out at over $50/hr. At a fast pace, you can spread a lot of mulch and make a good hourly profit.....you'll get more work than you can handle.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget to add in for SALES TAX! We have to charge sales tax here. I assume it is the same in NY. I would check into it and GET LEGIT with it, so you don't get SCREWED later!

I charge $65 a yard here installed. If they buy 6 or more yards I'll include delivery in that amount. (My dump trailer will handle 6 yds.) Less then 6 yards I'll either try to combine jobs or charge a $25 delivery fee. (Mulch costs me about $12 a yard, from a vendor that I buy in bulk from over the season. Most mulch vendors charge a $40 flat delivery fee for 1 to 10 yards delivered. So I can still look "affordable" to the customer.)

Mike
6x10 Lone Wolf dump trlr w/lndscp gate
82" Lastec 3682
60" Exmark Lazer
48" & 44" Exmark LazerHPs
44" Toro Z-147
36" Exmark MetroHP WB
34" Encore Z-34
Gator-Rator
JRCO Elec Brdcst Sprdr
Brandlein FIREBALL Grinder
2005 & 2007 Cyclone Rakes
2005 BOSS 8' plow
2011 SnowEx spreader
2006 Billy Goat 18hp Leaf Loader
Licensed Pesticide Applicator
Purdue U. Trained
Old 11-29-2004, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys in the north are making a killing on mulch. I just placed a bid on a large mulch installation for 60 yards of pine bark. I bid the job at $2400 total and lost the job to a lower bidder. I bid $40 per yard which included the mulch and delivery. Prices here in Florida are ridiculously low for mulch installs.