Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-22-2000, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

MRPLOW, If OSHA showed up on your job those sneakers would be the most expence sneakers you have ever owned.
Old 05-23-2000, 04:55 PM
bill phagan

don't make the same mistake many in our profession make....assuming all HOA's and apartments and customers in general are cheap! They are not. After 20 years in this profession, it's just a bad idea. I concur with the contract issue. Sounds like you've been tooooooooo busy to take care of business. A 3 year agreement is good as long as you don't have an &quot;easy out&quot; clause for them. A 3 year deal with a 30 day out IS NOT a 3 year agreement! But a contract is a definite in our profession, preferably a tailored one for each customer. Knowing how to protect yourself against the cheapos is critical and avoiding them even more so. Ask questions UPFRONT about budgets, why they are looking to change, their concerns. Remember this, HOA's are also interested in their property values and investment. Apartments are interested in high occupancy rates. Neither can be accomplished without &quot;curb&quot; and marketing appeal which we provide in our industry. Improving our tactics upfront usually make for longer relationships and so what if you lose one? We are in a $60 billion a year profession. And there's plenty of prospects out there for good professional companies who are in the profession and not in the &quot;business&quot;. I would work on my agreements and selling and consulting skills were I you.<p>Good luck.
Old 05-23-2000, 05:39 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
bill wrote:<p>&gt;don't make the same mistake many in our profession make....assuming all HOA's and apartments and customers in general are cheap! They are not. <p>Maybe 1 in 10 of these jobs might be profitable but frankly I don't have the<br>time to pick through the garbage.
Old 05-23-2000, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! Lawrence, I couldn't agree with you more on that one. We must be sniffin from the same bag of fert this week! <p>Chris
Old 05-24-2000, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Unfortunately, working on my marketing skills and contracts with these people would be a total waste of time, they are concerned only in the cheap price. When the contract ran out last yea I called to let them know and to also tell them I was going up on my price due to the large # of shrubs and lenght of time it took me to trim them, she (p.m.)had to call the owners and get approval. When she got back with me there was nothing mentioned about shrubs to the owners, they thought i was going up due to the price of gas. They approved 1/2 of what I asked for and said gas would go down!!!!! There is no way they would sign a 3 year deal and yes, their contracts have a 30 day clause.<p>There is a lowballer on every corner, one had 11 complexes last year! Mr.cheapy cut a friend of mine by $125.00 per month. The best thing for me to do is call her and give HER the 30 day notice and pick up 5 new residentials to replace the mess. I would be more profitable. <p>Homer
Old 05-24-2000, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

homer.<p>Even the cheapies need to be sold on a job. And more importantly, on yourself. You pay 50 cents for a Hershey bar and skip over the 45- cent Homers chocolate because you know what Hershey offers, they have a name you recognize, but you never heard about Homers chocolate, right? Same with yourself when dealing with prospective customers.<p>Bill
Old 05-24-2000, 12:27 PM
bill phagan

All sales people and business people should put together a marketing program to provide maximum exposure to their business to get those prospects calling. When they start calling it's time to qualify them to determine if WE even want to waste our time. If you sense they are too cheap or will be the dreaded &quot;customer from hell&quot;, don't waste your time. Conversely, when there are good prospective customers, this is where we should spend our time. I call this the &quot;cherry picking&quot; process. Let's assume you get 10 calls and half of them are not good prospects. You still have 5 left. If you've done your due diligence, you understand the concerns, they know you understand the concerns and how YOU will overcome them, you have 5 excellent prospects that represent increased revenue and profits to your business. If you only get 2 of the 5 as new accounts and they are profitable, you're good to go. Eliminating the poor prospects upfront is a timesaver. Or you can choose to &quot;chase bids&quot; and maybe get one and that one is usually a loser for you. There are quality apartment complexes and HOA's out there that can produce profitable dollars for you. Cherry picking finds them. I really admire the attitudes stated in this forum regarding not taking on losing business and us &quot;dropping&quot; them for a change. Wish more LMO's thought along these lines and boy, could we improve our profession!
Old 05-24-2000, 04:56 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
bill wrote:<p>&gt;There are quality apartment complexes and HOA's out there that can produce profitable dollars for you. <p>Maybe in your local market but in my market<br>196 out of 200 on the Forbes Mag list these<br>places esp. the section 8 jobs are not worth<br>my time.<p>These managers will pick some up and coming<br>&quot;young scrub&quot; that submits the lowest price.<br>My theory is that you should always work at<br>the highest profit available with the least amount of work. The trimming and edging<br>of those sites takes hours. Plus up North<br>you have to stand by all winter and push and<br>blow snow for these type of accounts.